OMG HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
KENOSHA CADILLAC

OMG HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Post by KENOSHA CADILLAC »

Hi Guy's,

New to forum but not to Cheros, I've owned several and currently own a 1982 Laredo that is fully loaded. I bought it off a gentleman in South Dakota last November. He restored it back in 2012 and only drove it 2000 miles. I got lucky as she is a beaut! Best one I ever owned

Here's my MAJOR issue. I was driving home from Chicago on I 294 which is under major construction. I hit a patch of road that was like a minefield exploding and it knocked out my dash lights, radio went to static, it's an aftermarket one, and my running lights.

Got to it the next day and pulled the stock gauge cluster and something shorted out, smelled plastic burning. I turned off the aftermarket cutoff switch that was installed by the previous gentleman. Went to the fusebox and checked them, found the tail light fuse was burnt so replaced it and it burnt immediately. tried 2 more same result.
Now the truck won't start, replaced solenoid with new one but no go, however when I jump it with a screwdriver it turns over but won't fire.

I am at my wits end, and this is beyond my skillset now, Any help would be appreciated. Glad to be here, Steve

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: OMG HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum,

I think its clear there is a major short in at least one place, that being the run to the tail lights, or maybe the tail lights themselves. So, leave the fuse out of there for now. You can address that after solving the other electrical issues.

I assume when you went to restart the engine, you turned the shutoff switch back on?

Jumping the solenoid will send power to the starter as you saw, but it still requires the key to be in the 'run' position to actually start.

It would be worth inspecting wires in the main wiring loom. In one of my FSJ's I had an issue where it would blow fuses on big bumps. Turned out one of the main feeds in the loom along the back of the engine bay had been rubbed to where the wire could make contact with the firewall on big bumps. Took a bit of searching to find it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
KENOSHA CADILLAC

Yes switch back on key on.

Topic author
KENOSHA CADILLAC

I will start at the tail lights

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

get yourself a couple of things a good copy of the factory wiring diagram and a volt /ohm meter to trouble shoot wiring issues, these are very basic wiring systems and easy to troubleshoot,there are no computers to complicate things, 1 thing i would check is the firewall bulkhead connectors. they are essentially a very large plug but they were assembled over 35 years ago and the grease drys ouy due to engine heat and susseptable to corrosion causing all sorts of shorts good luck and start ate the rear and work to the front.

letank

Post by letank »

Welcome, you said something burn inside the dash... can you spot the burnt components , picts might be very useful.

as said above, for now forget the tail lights...

if you still have the ammeter, I would start with the ammeter bypass! being sure that you ammeter wire is not the one that burnt up

-ALWAYS disconnect battery when messing up with the instrument cluster-

if the ammeter wire is still intact you can follow the ideas below, or quickly connect both ammeter wires to one post of the ammeter to bypass it...

If the wires show some heat damage, trace and bypass as explained below

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... uges.shtml

and this site

https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16778
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)