Milky (oily?) Antifreeze

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
OBXGW

Milky (oily?) Antifreeze

Post by OBXGW »

I just noticed this in my coolant tank. This 1986 GW is new to me. But I know enough about cars to know this looks like oil contamination.
Since there is such good knowledge on this site I thought I would ask, 1. if I am right. and 2. what are the common causes on these stock 360 engines.

Thanks,
image0 (3).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Milky (oily?) Antifreeze

Post by Stuka »

Hard to tell from the photo. If you put your finger in, does it have an oily residue on it?

If you check your oil, does it have a milky color to it?

And a third thing, with the engine running, and the radiator cap removed (make sure the engine is NOT hot when you remove it), do you see bubbles coming up?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

1) it is a bit too full
2) the color is a bit off

Does it smell like exhaust gas?

Finished doing one of my kid's honda headgasket... coolant reservoir was overfilled with coolant that was spraying thru the cap with a strong smell of gas.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
OBXGW

Post by OBXGW »

Thanks, Guys.

No it does not feel oily. It actually looked like rust today sitting on top. Drained my oil and it looked good.
With the radiator cap off the there where no bubbles just brownish antifreeze circulating. Maybe just a rusty radiator?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

OBXGW wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:57 pm Thanks, Guys.

No it does not feel oily. It actually looked like rust today sitting on top. Drained my oil and it looked good.
With the radiator cap off the there where no bubbles just brownish antifreeze circulating. Maybe just a rusty radiator?
The radiator doesnt have any steel in it. The rust is from the block.

Did this Jeep sit for a while without being run? Maybe with only water in it?

What you may want to do is flush it out. You can buy flush kits that allow you to hook a hose inline with the heater hose and just run water through the block. Though you may not need to go this far.

I had to do this every day for like 2 weeks on a '65 Mustang that I had which sat for 5 years before I go it. I would go drive it, and the radiator would have rust scale in it, and the water would turn brown. Eventually I got it to where it was clean and I was able to just run a regular mix of coolant (I was running only water for those 2 weeks).
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

When was the coolant last changed?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
OBXGW

Post by OBXGW »

I dont know the last time the antifreeze was changed. I am going to change the Antifreeze to water and drive it for a couple days and try to flush it out. I will post my results. THX