Question re: Overhead Console Rebuild - in progress

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Our 1990 Grand Wagoneer restoration has moved into cosmetics somewhat, and was looking at what it takes to get a headliner back in it - resto the overhead console. Plugged it in to see what it would do & gladly the lights come on, but none of the switches will click to turn them off & the display is blank.

Looking closer, i noticed that there's a few burnt components on the main board, and all of the tactile switches are melted. Have seen posts on fsjnetwork.com & naxja.org describing repairs involving replacement of 3 large capacitors, and 3 SMD capacitors with ceramics. Have spoken with local electronics repair shops & no one's interested in taking a look. Have also been to local junkyards & so far, i've not been able to find an XJ with a overhead console. Am willing to attempt the repair, assuming i'm able to identify & find the components. My question is: what is the burnt component just over from the others, and where can i find a replacement for the corroded component? Or, if you have a board without the extra burnt components, please post a pic.

Note the burnt components in center of pic; next pic will highlight them.

What is the burnt component highlighted on the right?

Another angle:

Another angle with components highlighted - what is the burnt component highlighted on the left? Note the corrosion on the tall silver component - NDK 4.00 8920.

Anyone know where i can get one of these?
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Chubbinius

Re: Question re: Overhead Console Rebuild - in progress

Post by Chubbinius »

Theodore, you might find some good information for bits or where to source a similar one in this thread, https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... ad+console

Hope it will help you fix yours. Candymancan also has some other posts on the console if you search his posts.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Chubbinius wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:47 am Theodore, you might find some good information for bits or where to source a similar one in this thread, https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... ad+console

Hope it will help you fix yours. Candymancan also has some other posts on the console if you search his posts.
Thanks, Chubbinius - the link you provided sent me down a rabbit hole that led to the discovery of information new to me that i believe will allow me to acquire the parts to fix the board. Have not had a chance yet to write up a full post - but, will - to document associated repair links & summarize what was required to fix (hopefully), along w/working links to parts suppliers. Watch this space.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Cool. Good luck! I think Sirrus had some posts on the parts as well. Hope you get yours sorted and working.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD