Lift kit question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Longjohn61

Lift kit question

Post by Longjohn61 »

Hi, planning to buy a skyjacker lift kit jp40ks for my 1980 cherokee chief.
As i live in sweden everything has to be imported så don't want to make any mistakes there.
By the time all the parts are in sweden the price has gone up by 150% not so cheap anymore.
The question is do i need more to complete the swap for example not sure if i need a new pitman arm or other stuff.
The jeep is my daily driver by the way ;)

Greetings from sweden
Nils
1980 Cherokee Chief 4.0L Fuel injected

will e

Re: Lift kit question

Post by will e »

I would order the dropped pitman arm too.

Also, does your kit included extended brake lines?

It's your daily driver.. how long do you plan on having it down during the lift install?

Frankly, I would feel like the worlds biggest bad ass if I was driving around Sweden in a lifted 1980's Chief. It's gotta be head turner for sure.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would order the drop pitman arm as well. There is a chance you may not need it, but better to err on the side of having something you need, than not having it. And of course shocks are required. The steering stabilizer is optional, but if you stock one is worn out, I would add it too.

4" is right about where stock brake lines start to get a bit too short for offroad use. You may be ok for mostly street only. On my Cherokee and J10 the stock lines were ok for a 4" (which gave closer to 3.5"), but when I installed a 6" the stock lines were definitely too short. And SkyJacker lifts typically run closer to 4.5".

SkyJacker does not offer brake lines, but BJ's offroad does.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

All right i will order a pitman arm and brake hoses as well.
One more question on skyjackers homepage it says 3,5 lift for the rear and 4 for the front why is that so?
I am doing a smaller restauration and planning having it back on the road after the winter.
Its also getting a new color from blue to green.
I even made my own cps relocation kit.
/Nils

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

From the factory the back sat higher than the front. So their kit levels it out.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

Found another lift kit for my Cherokee chief from rough country it is a 3 inch lift kit and also includes the shocks.
The big difference is the price it half the price compared with the skyjacker kit ( for me in Sweden)
Am i missing something? Or is this also a good kit to buy?
Tanks guys.
/Nils

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

No rear springs, just a block?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

Nope Both front and rear springs and shocks as well.
/Nisse

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Longjohn61 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:16 am Found another lift kit for my Cherokee chief from rough country it is a 3 inch lift kit and also includes the shocks.
The big difference is the price it half the price compared with the skyjacker kit ( for me in Sweden)
Am i missing something? Or is this also a good kit to buy?
Tanks guys.
/Nils
The Rough Country kit has the worst riding springs over any FSJ lift. They use straight cut (non-tapered) springs.

So yes, they are cheaper. But you get what you pay for.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

Alright that is good to know. It will be the skyjacker kit
it’s my daily driver som a little bit comfort is nice.

Topic author
Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

Can I use my stock e-brake cables?
Any other stuff I will need?
And i also am planning for some new tires thinking about
33 inch will that work with my axel ratio which is 3.31
/Nils

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Longjohn61 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:59 am Can I use my stock e-brake cables?
Any other stuff I will need?
And i also am planning for some new tires thinking about
33 inch will that work with my axel ratio which is 3.31
/Nils
I have not had any issues with e-brake cables and a 4" lift. You will need to adjust them to be looser, but they should work fine. With a 6" lift they get tight.

33's and 3.31's are certainly not ideal. You will definitely notice it. If you have a manual transmission it will make starting off on hills tougher. Its more manageable with an automatic.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

the original spring bolts may be and issue ,especially on the rear drivers side front rear spring shackle bolt passes thru the frame and the retaining nut is spot welded to the frame and is blocked from access by the gas tank this nut usually breaks loose from the frame and will just turn, if you look on the passenger side you will see the bolt and nut and has open access, also i found when i dropped my gas tank to get access to that nut i found the frame rail packed with mud and rust ,and the emergency brake cable on the drivers side extremely rusted and needed to be replaced, also the fuel tank vent valves and the rubber grommets bad so i also replaced them while the gas tank was removed as there was always a fuel smell in the garage and always leaked gas when i filled it up. just what i ran into when i put a spring lift kit in.

Topic author
Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

Yes have to remove the gas tank anyway have to fix some rust holes above the tank and do not want to weld with the tank in place.
Well got my springs this week i did not buy skyjacker after all i would have cost me $ 3300 that is 2,5 the price in the us shipping cost are expensive
and the Swedish government wants extra tax.
So bought the rc kit anyway it costs me "only" $1700.
Put in the front springs this weekend and on the right side where the bracket for the steering damper is upon the spring in my opinion the center pin
is to short? but exactly the same as the original spring so not easy to locate the center hole in the axel.
Am i doing something wrong? I think it impossible to mount the spring wrong the rear bushing i much bigger 2 inch.
And.... the front drive shaft i to short when i pull it out all the way i still need about 2 or 3 inch.
I do not know if location of the transfer case has is the problem gearbox is not the original anymore its a T4 original it was thr T-176 both 4 speed
but the t4 i shorter.
Next week starting with the rear i am not 25 anymore and lying on the garage floor so not going that fast.
Have to take a beer know and then.
Nils /sweden