Battery tray location

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Snow Descent

Battery tray location

Post by Snow Descent »

I'm hoping someone can do me a quick favor. My battery tray was all rusted and half gone, along with some of the inner fender. I patched the fender and I'm going to adapt a stainless tray for a CJ, but I no longer have a good reference on the location. Mines a 79 and had the angled tray.

I'm hoping someone could post a pic of their battery taken from above (as straight down as possible) so I can see where I need to put the replacement.

I'm trying to make sure that I won't end up with the battery in a spot where the positive terminal might contact the hood brace. (Hood is not on and I don't want to put it on at the moment)ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1979 Wagoneer, 360 V8, QT

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Battery tray location

Post by Stuka »

Is your Jeep an i6 or a V8? The battery tray orientation was different for these.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Snow Descent

Post by Snow Descent »

It's a V8.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Stuka wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:00 pm Is your Jeep an i6 or a V8? The battery tray orientation was different for these.
You may be interested to know that the answer to your question is in the picture that was posted.

If you look close you can see the battery tray support bracket that is attached to the fender Is located between two vertical embosses in the inner fender. This is the position for the V8. The I6 support bracket will be positioned forward of the front emboss.

As you may know the tray was moved for the V8 to accommodate the larger radiator. I much prefer the I6 location as it is closer to the radiator support. I have seen many cracked fenders on V8 equipped FSJ’s due to the added stress from the battery position.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Topic author
Snow Descent

Post by Snow Descent »

Thanks, threepiece. My difficulty lay in that my new tray was not a direct match for the original. I was hoping to match the original angle to keep clearances, but after much positioning, chin scratching contemplation and re-positioning I decided the place it was happiest was actually straight. I put it in yesterday afternoon. I'm using a group 34 battery so it's a little lower. I still haven't put the hood back on, so fingers crossed it will work out.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

threepiece wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:15 pm
Stuka wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:00 pm Is your Jeep an i6 or a V8? The battery tray orientation was different for these.
You may be interested to know that the answer to your question is in the picture that was posted.

If you look close you can see the battery tray support bracket that is attached to the fender Is located between two vertical embosses in the inner fender. This is the position for the V8. The I6 support bracket will be positioned forward of the front emboss.
Oh, I know. But I did not want to assume that was the original inner fender as we have had people swap them out, and then run into battery tray issues.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ