Exhaust/Smog Part?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Tio Pancho

Exhaust/Smog Part?

Post by Tio Pancho »

Morning All. Don’t remember taking this part off during disassembly, but it appears to go on the passenger side exhaust between the manifold and the pipe. Is this a smog part? Can’t find it in any diagrams I have found. Looks like someone plugged a few holes. It’s in a 77 Chief that will be sniffed in California. Thanks. Have a great day.

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 Cherokee Chief
360 w/ Turbo 400
Work in Progress :D

letank

Re: Exhaust/Smog Part?

Post by letank »

the heater stove flapper, most of us remove the flapper and plug the side holes, it is for faster warm up and better running in extremely cold weather... I have gutted mine(s), it passes smog... Runs fine in 25F... the many times I parked in such cold temp.

Yes between the manifold and Y pipe, there is a thin metal gasket with an embossing or crushable ridge
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Tio Pancho

Post by Tio Pancho »

Thanks letank. Good to know. Not many freezing days in Southern California. 😁
1977 Cherokee Chief
360 w/ Turbo 400

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The annoying issue they cause is when they get rusted, they wont open until there is a lot of backpressure on them. Mine would almost stall the engine, and then once it popped open, the engine would surge.

It is not needed for emissions though, just helps the engine warm up faster as letank mentioned above.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Splitting hairs, it actually is an emissions component. Heating the manifold shortens the warm-up period for the engine, and that means less time when the engine is sending lots of HCs out the tailpipe. It also improves drivability, since it keeps gasoline from condensing on the ice-cold intake manifold. Kind of like the hot air intake for the air cleaner. I'd guess it's a carburetor-only device, since modern MPI shoots the gas right at the intake valve, and air temperature should not mater except to affect the AFR. Maybe helps TBI, don't know. Possible.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Tio Pancho

Post by Tio Pancho »

Thanks for all the info guys. Knowing all this I don't think it will be an issue.
Gotta keep this project moving!
1977 Cherokee Chief
360 w/ Turbo 400