Voltmeter help needed

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Normanator

Voltmeter help needed

Post by Normanator »

I recently swapped in a voltmeter in place of the ammeter, went easy enough, with the exception of now when grounded, the volts spike to the peg.... only reading is either 0 (key off), or 16+ pegged (key on).
Any thoughts on whats going on? I have both the red and yellow wires on the positive, and grounded the neg post to a good ground on the dash.
Any help is appreciated!
1977 Cherokee S 360 4v AT
Polson, MT

will e

Re: Voltmeter help needed

Post by will e »

What is the brand and model of volt meter?

Are you using the wiring from the Ammeter? When you say that you have the wires on positive, what positive are you connecting to?

Most volt meters would only require 2 wires, one for the positive and one for the negative. Additional wires might be used for illumination. Usually the illumination will not share a ground with the volt meter.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Held off on posting since Will pretty much covered it. We need the brand and a link to the instructions.

I used the Sunpro meter https://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP7985-Cu ... B00029JZXM to convert my J20. This comes out of the case and goes in place of the factory ammeter. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150396

This is a typical accessory voltmeter, except that the needle swings down and across rather than the usual up and across. There is a nearly-as-inexpensive Actron/Bosch meter with a similar movement that would probably work as well.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Normanator

Post by Normanator »

I used the SunPro, followed a similar thread to the one above, can't locate it at the moment though. In it, the guy said to connect the red and yellow wires that were originally connected to the ammeter posts to the + on the sunpro and ground the other post.
Polson, MT

letank

Post by letank »

Normanator wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:21 pm I used the SunPro, followed a similar thread to the one above, can't locate it at the moment though. In it, the guy said to connect the red and yellow wires that were originally connected to the ammeter posts to the + on the sunpro and ground the other post.
in that case the voltmeter will always be powered AND there is no need to connect the red and yellow hi power amperage wires to the voltmeter... what you can do is connect red and yellow together, wrap them well and shove them in the back. Which will also help the next time you need to pull the cluster out.

As for selecting a wire powered by the ignition switch, I used one of my unused socket on the fuse panel... there are a few choices, I forgot which one at this time
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Normanator

Post by Normanator »

Perfect! Thanks
Polson, MT