Dana 44 hub assm. question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
COjeeper

Dana 44 hub assm. question

Post by COjeeper »

Hey everyone, have a quick question. I just got my 87 waggy running well and I’m getting a lot of noise from the front axle. I took the hub assemblies apart, and going by the drawing I got from this forum, found that they were missing the spring cup and spring, I did however find a sleeve that was not on the drawing. I installed the cup and spring, and the axle is now exactly rebuilt to the drawing. My question is, has anyone ran across this and if so can someone explain the reasoning behind this or is the sleeve supposed to be in there and my drawing is wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Dana 44 hub assm. question

Post by Stuka »

Not all years used the spring. Some did use a sleeve in place of the spring and cup.

Did your noise go away? If not, it could be a bearing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
COjeeper

Post by COjeeper »

Noise is 80% better but still there, outside bearings look good, haven’t checked the insides. It sounds more like something loose than like a grinding, could the front drive shaft make that noise? It’s definitely related to the speed of the vehicle.

Topic author
COjeeper

Post by COjeeper »

Found where the noise was coming from just to close this thread. Turns out about a quarter of the center yoke was missing, pulled the front drive shaft and noise is completely gone.