Quadratrac Questions about my rebuild

Stock FSJ Tech Area

fulsizjeep

Re: Quadratrac Questions about my rebuild

Post by fulsizjeep »

At this point, I think the only way to be sure if anything is wrong is a complete tear down and inspection, including the differential. The bottom line is the pinion cage should not be rubbing against the rear half of case like it is.

Since it has a part time kit in it, does it have the nylon bushing shown here on the left side where the shift collar/slider is? I have found a couple of these all crumbled in the bottom of the case.

By itself, w/MM p/n:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

Agree which brings me back to one of my original questions.
Which direction does the driveshaft turn in drive?
The truck’s been in the shop since I posted this and I got it back just in time to leave town to see my folks so I haven’t had a chance to learn this on my own. My suspicion is this is only a reverse ‘problem’ and thus not a big deal. I’d just like to be sure before I go to the trouble to install it.
My pinion carrier is a little tweaked and I do plan to replace it if the one in the truck is in better shape.
1964 Triumph TR4 with 1964 Olds 215 heart transplant
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

Topic author
Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

Yes the plastic ring is there and in good shape.
It looked fine when I had it apart. I inspected all the bearings and none were pitted and they rolled easily. Nothing looked cracked and the fluid just looked old like it hadn’t been changed in awhile but otherwise ok. Could the bearings be pressed in and not be square in the bore? The PO said it popped while driving and the chain was loose but it didn’t looked terribly stretched to me when compared to the new one.
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

Topic author
Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

I was gifted a QT from a kind soul in Sonora, the low range planetary gears in it are in better shape than mine and spin freely. Now that I have the good one in front of me I can see the other one was bent somehow. It's very slight but I have to think that's at least partially why it was rubbing on the case. I can't imagine what kind of force would have to be applied to bend it.
Am hoping to have the new one in this weekend.
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200