Fuel tank needed, bad.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Fuel tank needed, bad.

Post by 84GWagoneer »

I've already posted on jeepforum.com but i'll try here too.

1984 Grand Wagoneer Limited
5.9 360

Need a fuel tank real bad. Mine is damaged, dirty and just beyond saving without some serious work. I would love a new one but i can only find them for the 77-79 year models and every site i've looked at say they are different (even though they look almost identical).

If anyone has a line where i can find one for the 84 year line, that would be helpful. Or if anyone knows if the two tanks line up the same way and if the sending units bolt/line up the same way too. I can probably restore mine but it'll take a good bit of work and i don't want to just let the jeep sit idle while i work on it. Also, my little needle camera is not working, so i'm probably gonna have to replace that before i do aything crazy with the existing fuel tank.

Let me know what you guys know!

tgreese

Re: Fuel tank needed, bad.

Post by tgreese »

I have no source for you, but I would expect any GW tank from '80 forward would work. The main source for Jeep plastic replacement tanks is MTS, and as you found, they only make a tank for '78-79. In 1980, Jeep went to the plastic tank for the Wagoneer and Cherokee that is supported by the skid plate. These tanks, being plastic, should not rust out, but that does not prevent them from cracking.

There are a few Jeep junkyards that might have a tank for you, but you have not put your location in your message, profile or signature. You could try car-part.com to possibly find a junkyard with a suitable donor near you.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

oops. I did not even realize that i didn't have that info in there. Im in central Tennessee, Nashville area. I know it sat for about 2 (maybe 3) years with already bad gas in it. Its coming out almost as orange as UT orange. disgusting. Im thinking its got just some gnarly build up in it. I could probably flush and clean but i would much rather just go with a brand new one if i could. I wanna say the MTS unit i was looking at yesterday was plastic even though it was the 79. I need to reach back out to that technician and double check. With that switch, did they change dimensions as well? because it's got the same shape and from what i can tell, same 21 gal capacity. Cause if that's the case, i dont mind doing a little extra work to make sure to secure it, as long as the shape and size are the same.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The 79 and older tank won’t work in an 80+ as the drive shaft will hit the tank.

BJs used to carry them as I recall, but looks like they don’t have them currently.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

I'm trying to avoid running a fuel cell as i want the rear to be open for tool boxes and equipment. But, i might end up having to do that if i can't find a good replacement unless i can flush and restore the one it has on it.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If the tank you have is not cracked, I'd say go with that. I would not hesitate. Pay someone to clean it if you are unable or otherwise reluctant.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

I'll pass the message along to my technician. I found one online that is the same size but they only show the 4 and 6 cyl. motor (which i know the 4 cylinder wasn't on the grand wagoneer) but most websites that aren't jeep specific don't really differentiate between the grand and non grand wagoneer.

So now i've gotta see if that one would fit. They're really making it hard to just get a basic necessity for that poor thing.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There was an XJ Cherokee with a 4 or 6 that was called the Wagoneer. That's not your Jeep.

Go ahead and look, but I believe you'll find no new replacement. Possible NOS hidden away somewhere, but odds of coming across something like that so long out of production with no aftermarket support is ... remote.

Apparently tank cleaning is associated with the marine (boats) industry.

These GWs are popular, but they aren't Fords or Chevys. You can't expect extensive aftermarket parts support beyond service parts.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

84GWagoneer wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:35 am oops. I did not even realize that i didn't have that info in there. Im in central Tennessee, Nashville area. I know it sat for about 2 (maybe 3) years with already bad gas in it. Its coming out almost as orange as UT orange. disgusting. Im thinking its got just some gnarly build up in it. I could probably flush and clean but i would much rather just go with a brand new one if i could. I wanna say the MTS unit i was looking at yesterday was plastic even though it was the 79. I need to reach back out to that technician and double check. With that switch, did they change dimensions as well? because it's got the same shape and from what i can tell, same 21 gal capacity. Cause if that's the case, i dont mind doing a little extra work to make sure to secure it, as long as the shape and size are the same.
The orange color could be that your fuel intake /sender combo unit is rusting. Flip the rear bench, slip the carpeting on the driver's side, remove the cardboard under layer, pop the 3 rivets on the cover to access the intake/sender fuel unit... those hoses are usually caked with dirt, sometimes they are so bad that the fuel pump sucks air and dirt. This is a good start for your tech.

Access plate removed

As said the plastic tank does not rust... but the shield support can fail due to rusting from the water sitting between the gas tank and the skid plate.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

@tgreese Fair point. I've found quite a number of good things for the motors, but as you just said, not a ford or chevy so tracking down the little things has been tricky. But, regardless, that's why i ask you guys and gals that have done this before for the cool tips and tricks. I plan on this not being my last one, so the more i learn, the better!

@letank Thank you for the picture! The good news is there is no carpet, no cardboard and no rear seat because... long story. It has been bedlined, which i don't mind, but i bet the guy did not seal them separately, so we'll be grinding and chiseling away at it to get that plate popped off. We're getting a brand new unit regardless because of how much bad gas has sat and run through it, and they aren't expensive, so i don't mind getting a brand new one. Those things i can justify just getting a new one instead of cleaning and all that.

Thanks to you two, and the rest on the post. I'll get some pictures done up this weekend hopefully! We've got three other projects, so we'll see which one we're working on this weekend, BUT, i'll keep y'all posted for sure. Thanks again.

gilbedw

Post by gilbedw »

I always drop the tank on old vehicles I purchase. I dropped the plastic tank out of my 82 Cherokee. Drained the old gas. Filled it with water and soap and soaked it over night. Drained it an used a garden hose to flush out. Then a shop vac to get the rest. Let it air dry several days. good as new.

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

Roger! We are having to do that to the Dually we just bought. I don't know why i didn't just do that first. Rookie mistake!

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Ive seen thick brown tar sitting in these tanks. I suppose from the fuel sitting for years and years.

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

We don't know much about it before it got rescued. And all the things that we were told about what this guy did to "restore" those issues were just modifications that i don't think addressed the problem. Electric fuel pump, vacuum lines were snipped and plugged and a lot of things just disconnected or crimped. So, we're finding a lot of easter eggs. So, I'm just trying to get everything back to normal before we start clean up.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

What kind of damage does your tank have? A good deal of the tank is protected by a skid pan.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

I am waiting to hear back because it's at our shop right now and i'm at work. (thumbs down) The last time i was under it, i saw a good dent where i was looking. If i can get some pictures sent over or if i can make it over before sundown i'll try to upload them. It doesn't seem like this jeep was used for offroading or crawling, but more around the farm/acre yard work. It's got a make shift rear bumper and a homemade tow package on it, so if i had to guess, he may have misjudged a stump. I saw that on my k1500 i had a years back. Frame is in tact there are some scrapes and bruises that look interesting. We haven't had as much time to spend on her since we are upgrading our new dually so we can haul our cars a bit safer. I'll try to get some pictures today or tomorrow for you.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

84GWagoneer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 am I am waiting to hear back because it's at our shop right now and i'm at work. (thumbs down) The last time i was under it, i saw a good dent where i was looking. If i can get some pictures sent over or if i can make it over before sundown i'll try to upload them. It doesn't seem like this jeep was used for offroading or crawling, but more around the farm/acre yard work. It's got a make shift rear bumper and a homemade tow package on it, so if i had to guess, he may have misjudged a stump. I saw that on my k1500 i had a years back. Frame is in tact there are some scrapes and bruises that look interesting. We haven't had as much time to spend on her since we are upgrading our new dually so we can haul our cars a bit safer. I'll try to get some pictures today or tomorrow for you.
If you saw a dent, that was most likely in the steel skid plat that surrounds the tank. The tank itself is poly, and it wont dent, it would just crack. And it would leak fuel badly. If its not leaking fuel really bad, most likely not an issue.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

That's a fair point to think about. Good call, i'll relay info as soon as i can.

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

Alright. Quick update and then when i get home today i'll put up pictures and a little more details.

Gas tank and skid plate came out... fine. Missing one tank strap and the other one was just sitting in the skid plate unbolted. So when we grabbed the skid plate, we also grabbed the tank. All came out in one, which worked out for us.

The vent tubes had been hot glued in and the lines had been hot glued AND clamped to the snouts. So we had to clean those up. Shortened the fuel line to the sending unit from where the previous owner had put an electric pump on the back end. The sending unit is wrecked, so i'm waiting on one to come in and it should be here tomorrow actually. But we pressure washed the tank and skid plate, got those painted and sealed and they look 10x better than when we got them out. Heavy debris and gunk in the tank and when we dumped it out from the cleaning, you could definitely see the improvement with the crap that came flowing out. The gas that was in there was added less than a week ago so we just re filtered it into the can we had and were able to reuse it. The tank went right back in with the skid plate in tow. Much easier than our Yukon for sure.

BUT the one thing we did learn is for the love of everything holy, you don't have to use the right parts but use ALL the parts that are necessary. We put a new set of straps on the tank for support and new bolts for the skid plate while also cleaning up the areas where the bolts actually drive into. Gas is pulling much better but once the new sending unit comes in we are gonna drop that one in and hopefully it becomes very consistent.

replaced some lines that were dry rotted and no leaks! tank is in much better condition than we thought. The skid plate had the crack that i remembered seeing and a few of the anchor points had been bent up. We got those cleaned up and grinded down so no razor cuts. One project down!

Following this, we cracked the plugs out and they're pretty foul. So we're gonna blast them just to test for fire and i'm gonna get a new set this weekend for once we get the timing down with everything flowing correctly. Thanks again guys!