Damn wiring.. my gauges are a mystery!

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
barryho

Damn wiring.. my gauges are a mystery!

Post by barryho »

https://imgur.com/a/YEQr1iP

I got this truck sight unseen back in November as an early Christmas gift from my wife. I had a Chief in high school and have been looking for a grand Wagoneer for years. No rust, or damage. It came from Texas and is solid as a rock, was supposedly rebuilt 15k miles ago. It runs great, however I have a few issues I would like to fix beyond cosmetics and finishing the interior.

Firstly it had no working gauges but the speedo, I ran a ground from the top bolt of the cluster to the body and I now have a working oil pressure gauge! Nothing else is working however, I bought a temperature gauge from bj's thinking maybe it was the cvr. Still no fuel gauge, there was an after market temperature gauge installed but it doesn't work. Since it's finally warm I have started to poke around and I have found a bunch of wires that, I couldn't really trace and don't know what they are. Tried looking at a wiring diagram but it might as well be in Japanese to me.

the cluster itself is in good condition and I have a second known working cluster where everything works. I have checked the grounds and they seem good, all the lights and everything work but my turn signals, but I am pretty sure I blew a fuse because they worked before. All the pins and everything on both boards are tight and every things clean, i checked all the wires in the circular plug and they are all good, the other plug seems good as well.

Will the cvr work if an aftermarket temp gauge has been installed? Are there any wires directly to the gauge? I know the radio noise suppressor is gone on both boards, could not having the radio noise suppressor thing keep the gauges from working?

Also if anyone can help me identify the wires in the picture that would be very helpful!

I'm going insane trying to figure out this mess.

Cheers!

Topic author
barryho

Re: Damn wiring.. my gauges are a mystery!

Post by barryho »

Thanks to a post on ifsja, I jumpered the noise suppressor but still no fuel or temp gauge. The board is grounded and I have a brand new cvr/temp gauge from bj's so I wouldn't think that's the issue. Are there any wires or anything that go to the cvr/temp gauge itself?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Replied to your post on IFSJA.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I wish i could help.. i know alot of wiring on these Jeeps but the dash is something i do not know yet unfortunatly
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

i'm having the exact same issue. Is the cluster a printed circuit on the back? if so, we fixed our Grand National cluster with a couple dabs or hot glue and some really peculiar weights placed on the circuits while drying. Keep this updated because whatever you find out i am going to have to do as well. But if i stumble across something i'll post it!