Removing stubborn dash knobs ??

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Removing stubborn dash knobs ??

Post by Laredo Matt »

Ok, I feel dumb for having to ask but.... I'm stripping my 83 Laredo and have a few dash knobs I can't figure out how to disconnect.

The vent pull knob on the right of the steering column. I spent about 30 minutes today and finally sliced my thumb open on the sheet metal behind the dash trying to get it out. Is there special took required? I've gotten behind the dash, tried everything and don't want to break it.
Dash 1a.jpg

On left of steering column (driver side door), same question for the headlight switch.
Dash 2a.jpg
feels dumb to have to ask but haven't been able to figure them out :banghead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Chubbinius

Re: Removing stubborn dash knobs ??

Post by Chubbinius »

Not certain it will be the same as on my 1970, but looks like on the light switch you can use a small screwdriver to loosen the slotted lock nut that can be seen against the edge of the silver bezel (dark ring with the two slots). The bottom of the switch will usually also have a small button you depress and then can pull the shafts with the knob off.

Good luck
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Chubbinius wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:06 pm Not certain it will be the same as on my 1970, but looks like on the light switch you can use a small screwdriver to loosen the slotted lock nut that can be seen against the edge of the silver bezel (dark ring with the two slots). The bottom of the switch will usually also have a small button you depress and then can pull the shafts with the knob off.

Good luck
I'll give that a try tomorrow. Been in the garage all day and end with a shot of PB blast on the body mounting bolts. gonna let that air out before i go back in.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

80Limited

Post by 80Limited »

There are two tabs that have to be squeezed together from behind the dash to pull the cable out.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

80Limited wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:27 am There are two tabs that have to be squeezed together from behind the dash to pull the cable out.
This is for the vent cable. From memory, I was thinking the knob does not come off. The whole cable assembly comes out of the dash.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

tgreese wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:34 am
80Limited wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:27 am There are two tabs that have to be squeezed together from behind the dash to pull the cable out.
This is for the vent cable. From memory, I was thinking the knob does not come off. The whole cable assembly comes out of the dash.

So much for my belief I had pretty good grip strength :roll:

I tried the "squeeze really hard and push" approach more than once with no luck. I'll just try harder tonight and stick with it until I get it.

thanks for the feedback
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You might get a mirror and a flashlight and take a good look at the backside before you try again. Even if you can't see what you are doing, it usually helps to have a mental picture of what you're working on. It may also inspire some helpful tool or approach.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

All knobs have been successfully removed without damage.

last piece fighting me is steering column. Everything disconnected. Getting the steering shaft to release from the u joint where is proving even more difficult. Been spraying with PB Blast and hoping that would help but nothing yet. I guess I'll have to strip out power brake unit and master cylinder to try and get a better position and hold on the u joint and try and separate the column.

If that doesn't work, time for a new thread on removing steering columns.

I see how minor fixes and upgrades can quickly devolve into "i've gone this far, I might as well ..." and take months and in some cases years!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

letank

Post by letank »

usually the knob the physical knob breaks off from the rod

I suspect that you cannot remove the knob element with the bezel, it is a claw behind the dash, so 2 tabs that need to be squeezed toward the center of the cable, you can use a hose clamp to tighten the claw from open to close

As for the steering column, someone may have put some locktite, usually they pop out without any effort, or it has been damaged as in a slight bent
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I ended having to disconnect the intermediate shaft at the steering box and take the entire thing out as one piece. Still haven't figured out how to disconnect the steering shaft from the u joint yet but I'm a long way from re-assembly so not going to to worry about it now. Am also planning to do a steering box upgrade at some point so would have had to deal with it sooner or later.

Agree, my experience is they should come apart fairly easy. bought it a little over a month ago. A PO did an LS Swap about 3 years ago so I'm pretty sure it was out then. Looks a little rusted but not that crazy so scratching my head.

Oh well, it's out and I can continue stripping down and have some time to think about it.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E