Is rear air deflector worth it?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Is rear air deflector worth it?

Post by sirrus »

I always liked how those deflectors look on GWs.

As I understand deflector was an option, not sure if it was available after 89 when they started putting rear wipers on.

Anyway, my 88 doesn’t have it and every now and then I’m thinking about getting and installing one. It should help blowing off water off tailgate window when driving in the rain, and probably allow driving with window a bit down without sucking exhaust fumes in? What stops me is that it costs a lot and I’m not really comfortable with drilling holes in good roof that doesn’t leak :)

What do you guys think?
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Is rear air deflector worth it?

Post by Stuka »

Their main purpose was to allow you to drive with the window down and now pull exhaust into the cab. If you don't plan on driving with the window down, don't worry about it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Oh, that sucks. I was hoping that it’ll help with rain all over the rear window, when it rains I can’t see anything. Doesn’t trouble me that much and I don’t really care about driving with window down. Guess that’s some money and roof drilling saved!
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sirrus wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:58 pm Oh, that sucks. I was hoping that it’ll help with rain all over the rear window, when it rains I can’t see anything. Doesn’t trouble me that much and I don’t really care about driving with window down. Guess that’s some money and roof drilling saved!
It could help some with that. But would probably be speed dependent.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

It helps somewhat with the dust as we could observe in some of our outings in large expanse of loose sand -aka black rock desert-

The OEM deflector is held up with the same well nuts as the roof rack, so you need to drill/punch large holes, and the rear most are almost blind because of the roof structure of the support beam

the non plugged holes are for the deflector
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tp1443

Post by tp1443 »

Old thread here, but if anyone is still looking at it, could you possibly let me know the size of the holes I need to drill/punch to mount the deflector?
I just picked up an 88 GW and it already has holes where I need to mount the deflector. But for some reason they are much smaller then the grommets I got from Team Grand Wagoneer, that I also used to tidy up the roof rail mountings.
I can take off the roof rails again, and measure the holes, but would rather not risk loosening the grommets if anyone can tell me hole diameter that's needed.
Many thanks!!

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

While I was considering adding the deflector to my rig, I've come across this dealer installation instructions for deflector and saved it just in case

Says that you'll need 6 half-inch holes and use matching well nuts with 1/4-20 threads