Wipers not working

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Bolphur

Wipers not working

Post by Bolphur »

1985 Grand Wagoneer. Just got it about a month ago. I believe the wipers were working at some point since I've had it, but I haven't driven it in the rain to remember ever needing them. I can hear the wiper motor working, but it doesn't move the wipers. I tried manually moving the wipers for the outside thinking they might be stuck somehow. They moved pretty easily, but when I tried putting them back the engine revved up. I can literally move the throttle by moving the windshield wipers. I'm guessing it has something to do with the cruise control and a vacuum issue. Where do I look? Thanks for any insight.

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Wipers not working

Post by sirrus »

That is extremely weird. Are you sure that’s caused by cruise? Do you see cruise control cable moving when you move wipers? And you can disconnect cruise cable from throttle linkage to verify as well
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
Bolphur

Post by Bolphur »

That’s a good idea. I’ll try that. I’m assuming it has something to do with the cruise control as it’s pulling the throttle to towards the floor.

Topic author
Bolphur

Post by Bolphur »

Well I looked a bit closer. It looks like it might be the actual throttle. There appears to be two things on the throttle. The top one has a little chain. When I move the wiper manually the chain gets slack.

scramble96

Post by scramble96 »

Check under the dash where the wiper linkage connects to the wiper motor. I had the E clip fall off of mine which resulted in the linkage falling off and down onto the gas pedal linkage, and then the gas pedal stuck to the floor. Its a good thing it stalled on me!
1978 Cherokee S Widetrack,360, BDS 4 inch lift
1987 Grand Wagoneer, 401 Howell EFI, Edelbrock Intake
1989 Grand Wagoneer *for parts*

Topic author
Bolphur

Post by Bolphur »

Ok. I'll check that out.

ejeffrjr

Post by ejeffrjr »

New to the forum. I'm working on a 1987 Grand Wagoneer. I'm removing the dash plastic bezel to access the wiper linkage, which is broken. I have removed all of the fasteners but the glovebox seems to be attached at the rear (maybe to a duct?) Am I missing a fastener or did Jeep stick the rear of the glove box with glue or sticky tape? I don't want to yank too hard because the duct is flexing alot. Thanks!

ybarraca@gmail.com

Post by ybarraca@gmail.com »

Same with me too.. the wiper linkage connects to the wiper motor had the E clip fall off. (see pic). I lost the eclip but replaced it with another from Lowe's.
20210710_143201.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.