Tailgate window glass

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
scramble96

Tailgate window glass

Post by scramble96 »

Does anyone know if the full size Cherokees and Wagoneers and Grand Wagoneers all use the same tailgate window glass? I have a 1978 Cherokee S Widetrack that came with a power tailgate window. I replaced the tailgate glass with that from a 1989 Grand Wagoneer and installed an aftermarket manual crank regulator. It seems to work ok for the most part, but it doesn't want to go all the way up into the weatherstripping. It seems like it should go up another 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I don't know if the glass is different or if it is just out of adjustment. Does anyone have any ideas? TIA!
Last edited by scramble96 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1978 Cherokee S Widetrack,360, BDS 4 inch lift
1987 Grand Wagoneer, 401 Howell EFI, Edelbrock Intake
1989 Grand Wagoneer *for parts*

SJTD

Re: Tailagate window glass

Post by SJTD »

Glass got thinner at some point so that wouldn't be the problem.

There isn't much up/down adjustment, mostly tilt but if it hits one corner first it could cause a problem. Doesn't sound like your issue though. Is the top of the glass parallel to the top just before it enters the gasket?

Maybe your regulator doesn't have enough travel?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
scramble96

Re: Tailgate window glass

Post by scramble96 »

The top of the glass seems to be parallel to the roof. The regulator is the one from crown. I know people have issues with them, especially the hand crank. I had to make some modifications to get that to work, and the lock tumbler still won't stay in place welp, but at least it functions. Ill take the access panel off the inside of the tailgate and see if I can figure it out.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Since it's aftermarket maybe it's just running out of travel.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
scramble96

Post by scramble96 »

Well, the travel was a little short. But I did find that the defroster wire was making it bind a little. I relocated the wire and then got some weatherstripping from the local hardware store and glued that behind the jeep weatherstripping on the top of the window opening. It works for me. It's not a concours show vehicle. Mainly a trail rig.