Hardened Valve Seats in Buick 350 Heads?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Dandigscars

Hardened Valve Seats in Buick 350 Heads?

Post by Dandigscars »

This is my first post after getting my second '69 Jeep, a '69 J3600 platform stake with Dana 60 rear (I think) and Warn Hydraulic PTO with dump bed. The Buick V8 may need the heads removed and redone if it doesn't pass the pending compression test. I know in general when heads from 70's and earlier vintage cars get redone, they generally get new valve seats that are hardened to better handle unleaded fuels. I went to a website for Sun Valley Auto Parts and Machine Shop showing their rebuilding of a complete Buick 350 and they did not install new seats, but re-cut the existing.

Can you tell me what your experience with this is? is it possible to put in hardened seats for the Buick 350? Have folks done it, or not done it with success? I am looking to keep this truck as original as possible while getting it reliable to haul a trailer with tractor to my cow pasture and back.

Thanks, Dan

Topic author
Dandigscars

Re: Hardened Valve Seats in Buick 350 Heads?

Post by Dandigscars »

OK now I've seen them installed on the exhaust ports only, which answers the question of how can seats fit in the gap between the valves. Some say that if you drive gently you never need them, others say no, you do regardless unless you add lead substitutes. I won't be driving alot, but I will be asking the engine to pull the trailer and drive in some mud at times. So I will get them installed if I pull the heads. Is there anything else recommended I do along the way to reinstallation? Looks like exhaust manifolds can have problems with cracking.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Hardened Valve Seats in Buick 350 Heads?

Post by rocklaurence »

Yes, you Should have Hardened valve seats installed. Also, go to a Points/Condenser Delete via new distributor or Petronix kit.