Replacement Vent Cable?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Replacement Vent Cable?

Post by weeegoneeer »

So - my passenger vent cable is awesome.

Driver's side - not so much. The knob pulls off, and I can work it by grabbing the stem with my vice grip thumb. Anyone ever replace this thing? I can't find a direct replacement, and the bicycle shop didn't know where to go for a solid core cable.

If anyone else has been in my shoes - would love some advice! Not the biggest deal, but is a minor thing that is aggravating me.
1984 GW

sansabarJ

Re: Replacement Vent Cable?

Post by sansabarJ »

On my 72 , I had cables out when I restored the 63 dash I put in my j4000. I lubricated them and all of that . But the passenger cable is hard to pull out and push in . Weird cause drivers side is a shorter cable and more curve in it to the vent . It's easy as can be . I have a couple solid core oem cables for the early vehicals nothing later . I'm sure cables are the same but mine except the knobs that won't match . J&W Jeep in Antelope CA has loads of parts including grand Wagoneer stuff. He's your best bet . Mark and Neil Duncan
Really good guys .

SansabarJ

letank

Post by letank »

as said above, it is solid core, such as a piano wire, it will not break. When the knob pulls off, the best solution is to buy some rheostat or potentiometer knob, the one with a set screw... I need to find the package, probably 6mm shaft... ebay was the best deal, pack of 10 for less than $10, I filed the dash facing edge as it was a bit sharp

The FSJ knobs are plastic inserts, they all crack inside. You can try to salvage one from the earlier dash 72 and older which are all metal.

Otherwise trying to refill with epoxy and .... too much trouble at this point.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

That's a brilliant idea Michel! I've already put some JB Weld in there with no luck.

Sansabar - will reach out to J&W, have bought from them in the past and they are indeed great.
1984 GW

letank

Post by letank »

weeegoneeer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:53 am That's a brilliant idea Michel! I've already put some JB Weld in there with no luck.
Thank you for the JB weld failure, it was in my mind. Then I decided to browse for dash knob, and in fact you can get better, for a little more... $15 you can get these for CJ7, come with a set screw

https://ruggedridge.com/p/rugged-ridge- ... -11420-01/

Michel

letank

Re: Replacement Total look

Post by letank »

with all this spare time during the cold weather... I decided to upgrade the above buttons that are CJ specific... to add the squid release logo

after I took a pict of the logo, upon zooming on the logo, I could see a notch and it seemed like an extra layer - the logo being applied later- a little razor blade did not work... so a little heat, right before the rubber softened to a melt slip a razor blade and the patch is out, a bit of glue and voila

the dried up glue in the groove can be scrapped off with a tooth pick
Michel

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Oh wow - that looks great!
1984 GW

letank

Post by letank »

those CJ buttons shaft hole need to be drilled one step wider to 13/64 to fit our fresh air vent stud... I finally installed them. When you apply the label make sure that the stud hole is position downward... for esthetic purpose! I missed this point
Michel