Throttle Knob

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
SonomaJeep

Throttle Knob

Post by SonomaJeep »

Did any FSJ ever come with a dash mounted Throttle Knob, simillar to a Choke knob? If so where could I buy 1?

Thx ahead of time,

Paul :fsj:

tgreese

Re: Throttle Knob

Post by tgreese »

Not that I know of. The earliest CJs had them optionally. I expect they are considered unsafe by modern standards. Jeep sold that CJ cable marked "throttle" on the knob as a service part, but that was 50 years ago.

Seems the earliest FSJs with the 230 could have a hand choke (operated by a cable) but I find no evidence of a throttle cable.

There are idle stop solenoids that you could rig to give you a fast idle. These could be controlled by a switch on the dash.

First post - welcome from Massachusetts.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
SonomaJeep

Post by SonomaJeep »

Tgreese, thanks for the info. I killed my first battery by running my winch without the motor running. I killed it (same battery) again when the idle current didn't keep it charged while using the winch. So I'd like to add a hand throttle so I can idle up while winching. I was thinking an old school FSJ Throttle knob would be a nice touch on my LJ dash.

The idle stop solenoid is a great idea but an electric switch is not as romantic as a classic "T" knob. I'm going to keep the solenoid idea in my back pocket.

Thanks!!

letank

Post by letank »

Welcome to the asylum, a bicycle gear shifter can be used as well
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Dorman sells generic cables that could be used for a throttle cable. https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1180-0 ... in=keyword Any parts store can get Dorman stuff easily and quickly. McMaster-Carr has control cables that are meant for industrial use, and would also work well, at a higher cost. https://www.mcmaster.com/cable/handles-and-knobs/

The main concern is that whatever linkage you make to the throttle cannot jam and hold the throttle open. I have seen throttle setups that connect to the throttle with a length of light chain. This is something like the connection you have with the OEM cruise control. Some thought and engineering would be required.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.