Whats causing my new mud tire to shred like this

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Whats causing my new mud tire to shred like this

Post by candymancan »

Its only the front passenger side. I noticed today after driving on the interstate for an hour the tires outer lugs are ripping or something. Could a bad lower ball joint do this M because i havent fixed the ball joint yet.

Thinking of parking it and driving my other jeep before i rip lugs off.. because its almost like its tearing my outer lugs off.

Here isa pic. The other tires arent doing this.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Whats causing my new mud tire to shred like this

Post by Stuka »

Looks like you drove on a curb or a rock. You can see the scrapes down the sidewall.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

If it's only one lug I agree with Stuka.

I'd think a bad ball joint would eat the inner side but maybe the slack would cause toe-in. Either way if you know you have a bad ball joint you aren't doing it any good driving it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

It isnt 1 lug. Its every other lug. The ones that are on the very far outside. Every other one is a lug design like this. And the other lug is a cupped shape lug and isnt affected.

So every other outside lug has this. Deff hit no curb. Granted right tires wear more than left due to how we make left hand turns faster than right hand turns, and the faster we turn the more a tire squishes so its natural if the passenger tire sees more wear if you do alot of turning. So i was noticing more wear on this tire. But this shredding on the outside of the lugs were not there until i drove on the interstate for an hour. When i got home i looked at my tires and saw this.

Plus the lugs look like they have wrinkles in them the drivers tire doesnt have this. 3rd pic is the same tire just a picture showing the whole tire. Notice how the tread looks more worn on the edges of the lugs and scratched on the center of the luggs. The 4th pic is the drivers tire. The rubber looks smooth and less worn on all the edges they are still sharp.

And youre right i thpught lower ball joints would cause inner tire wear. Im having outer wear

upload images

will e

Post by will e »

They look like pretty big tires. Are you getting even a bit of 'rubbing', perhaps around fast corners? That might explain it.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

No rubbing on the body theyre 31s i have new springs with a 2 inch lift. If i had rubbing id hear it i would think especially on the body itd probably tear my fender right off or something

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Reading comprehension fail on my part.

Fact remains you have bad parts on that side and wear on that side. Like I said befo bottom of tire leaning out would cause the tie rod to be effectively shorter causing toe-in. Enough to cause this? Idunno. Maybe you had some toe-in to begin with and this made it worse?

Your old tires show anything like this?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Old tires didnt show this. In fact they have 30k miles on them and i put then on my moms ZJ as they are at about 40% tread left.

But they are all terrains. Not mud terrains with big lugs.

Just dont have money for ball joints and an alingment atm. So i gatta save up i guess.

I didnt have any pulling with my old tires either. But the new ones the Jeep pulls to the right. I have to keep the wheel turned to the left by 2 degrees or so . It isnt alot but its noticable. And prior i could let go of ny wheel and itd drive straight. Now if i let go im in the other lane after 5 seconds.

Im going to swap the tires drivers to passenger and vise versa and see what happens. If anything

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

I suggest a MAG / vacuum cup type Cam mount , view the recoded action of how it acts when driving like you were that led to this.
Then check all alignments. The tire itself might be defective, or did you swap tires and it followed the corner activity??

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Havent messed with it yet.. got tired of working on my Jeep. The shredding seems to have stopped. The right side does wear more than the left tire. But that i think is normal due to making left hands turns faster thsn you do right hand turns.

Tires have 2k miles on them now and they look good. Ima rotate them here soon. Didnt swap the tires either. Im just lazy af right niw. That frame repair gas tank and skid plate and then all these mods i did lifting it by adding a leaf and the lighting and body mounts and yada yads.. burned me out lol. So ive just been enjoying driving it

I cant fix the ball joint either. I ordered the spindle bearing, and spindle seal kit. And ordered the dana ball joints. But theyrr on back order until next year NO ONE has them.. ive been searching for months. and honestly.. i want dana ball joints. Not moog or any other cheap brand. Ive been reading alot of horror stories of moog ball joints just randomly failing.. no thanks. I also wants smooth ball joints where you press them in. I dont want those ribbed designs that chew into the joint socket ruining it forever.

Not happy with the tire tearing more than the other. But ill rotate em often to minimize it. With 2k miles on it though. They actually have very little overall tire wear as far as tread depth goes. So im happy i think these Master craft Mud terrains will deff last quite awhile.

I just hope the ball joint come in stock soon.. Im actually more worried about the bad ball joint breaking than my tire wear now