Removal of Dash Knobs ‘65 and steering column arms

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Parkerg

Removal of Dash Knobs ‘65 and steering column arms

Post by Parkerg »

Trying to remove the white knobs for wipers and lights etc. on a ‘65 Wagoneer. Anyone have any videos or good info?

carnuck

Re: Removal of Dash Knobs ‘65 and steering column arms

Post by carnuck »

If they have a tiny screw hole on the bottom (it’s self explanatory) or a slight notch then there is a D spring that needs to be gently squeezed towards you in line with that notch and the knob should come off pretty easy. It just uses the friction of the spring to hold it on and the spring sits inside the D hole of the knob.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Is the light switch a "skewer" type knob? Some light switches have button on their side (back up under the dash) that releases the knob. These knobs have a long shaft with a pointy end that locks deep into the switch. '65 may be too early for that, but something to look for.

Picture courtesy of a Ford truck forum:

Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Unplug the light switch before removing the knob or theyll stay on. I found it easier to put it in the parking light position then depress the button, push in slightly then pull out. At least on mine thats how it works. Wiper knob is a small set screw. Vents come out with the cable if i recall (i eliminated them years ago so can't look to reference), and the ignition is just a spring-loaded cam type. Oh, and the lighter just pulls out of the socket lol . Instrument cluster is 4 tabs you squeeze and pull it out also. The dash is easy to strip. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.