73 Wagoneer Choke Pulloff

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Kayparkah73

73 Wagoneer Choke Pulloff

Post by Kayparkah73 »

Hey guys! So I need some help finding a part for my 73 Wagoneer. It has the 360 in it, and I need a new choke. It doesn’t like to start without putting gas in the carburetor, and when it does start the choke gets stuck open and idles high until I give it gas to idle normally.

Does anyone know where I can buy a new one or even a Wagoneer junk yard somewhere in the US that may have it? :fsj:

tgreese

Re: 73 Wagoneer Choke Pulloff

Post by tgreese »

Search for 2100 choke pulloff and you'll find plenty of sources. Napa probably lists it too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Autolite- ... 0423871117

Welcome from Boston.

JMO - I'd just buy a carb kit and rebuild the carburetor. It'll be in there. Unless the jeep was owned by an enthusiast, most likely it needs rebuilding. Not difficult.

Also, should be a thermoelectric choke, and it need both a hot air connection and a wire to function properly. The hot air tube is typically broken or gone.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Kayparkah73

Post by Kayparkah73 »

Thanks for the Info! I’m actually from Mass too.

I got the carburetor rebuilt a few months ago, but it still doesn’t like to start without a little help. The mechanic who rebuilt it told me about the choke, and how it needs to be replaced. I’m not 100% surewhere those wires are that you mentioned.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Here’s a link with some diagrams and videos about choke on 2100 carbs, might be helpful

AFAIK, 2100 doesn’t have electric heater (2150 does) so maybe there’s no wire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

letank

Post by letank »

the 2100 on the 73, is a thermostatic coil, no electric feedback.

your issue seems that the choke does not close to allow proper function...

1) your thermostatic coil could be out of alignment with the cam of the choke flapper

2) there is a lever on the driver's side that is plastic and get buggered up... to adjust the opener when the engine runs

the pict below is from a new website, check the upper right side, it shows a plunger that is activated by a plastic rod

website which I have no financial gain nor real knowledge of the quality of the items being sold, for reference only,
https://www.championcarburetor.com/7274 ... 10576.html

3) the fast idle cam that can get stuck, and that seems to be your issue as well

Otherwise a note on the 2100 from personal experience:
BUT, if it is really cold, eyeball about less than 40F when the radiator takes a long time to warm up, the thermostatic coil may not open fast enough - for severe winter weather, it does not open! I made a cage to keep the choke open for winter trip in the 74.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)