SPINDLE SPACER?? Dana 44 front - 1979 J20

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tigger4x

SPINDLE SPACER?? Dana 44 front - 1979 J20

Post by tigger4x »

I did myself wrong by not taking pics as I disassembled my front axle and now can't remember for the life of me where this round 12 hole spacer goes when reinstalling the spindle. Does it go between the knuckle and the spindle OR between the spindle and the caliper mount/dust shield?

EDIT : The spacer is not uniform thickness! It is relatively thin at the "12 o'clock" position and thick at the "6 o'clock" position. Now this seems even more important as to how it is aligned as well as where it is placed! :banghead:

I wish I could post a pic, but in lieu of that I'll describe it as about as thick as a fender washer and the same outer diameter as the spindle's O.D. With it sitting on the studs there is one hole on the 6 & 12 o'clock studs, the 3 & 9 are empty. The other four studs have an empty hole next to them. No doubt that is as clear as mud.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :-bd
Last edited by tigger4x on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgreese

Re: SPINDLE SPACER??

Post by tgreese »

If it went between the spindle and the knuckle, it's a camber shim. Not a factory part. Caster and camber are welded-in to the housing, so you can only adjust them with shims. Should not need it if your housing is not bent.

You could put everything together (without the shim or shims) and have the alignment done. All they can do on a Jeep (without heroic efforst like that shim) is adjust the toe-in and center the steering. Ask for the printout from the machine. That will tell you what you need. Measurement of the shim at both edges with your calipers and some simple geometry will tell you how many degrees the shim provides.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
tigger4x

Re: SPINDLE SPACER??

Post by tigger4x »

Yeah, I don't remember where it was located, much less its orientation. I bought all new tie rods, connecting rod, etc along with upper n lower ball joints so it will need an alignment when all is said and done. If I don't find out otherwise then I will just hold onto it and take it with me to the shop when I have it done.

I imagine its about time I buy a caliper set so I can meausre this kind of stuff. :|

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: SPINDLE SPACER?? Dana 44 front - 1979 J20

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, sounds like a shim. Camber isn't that important on a solid axle setup. If its real bad it can cause more wear on one side of the tire. But its very unlikely you would ever feel it when driving.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

2 votes for an alignment shim. I guess we will see soon enough when the shop gets a hold of it. Considering how much tires go for I want the alignment well within spec, even more so after the cost of parts and time to get it done.

Topic author
tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

They have been confirmed to be alignment shims by the alignment shop. If the truck needs them then it will be about 30 minutes per side to install them. The joy of installing shims costing more than the dang alignment itself. Thrilling I tell ya!

Thanks for the input guys! :-bd