hood pin adjustment

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
gilbedw

hood pin adjustment

Post by gilbedw »

My 82 Cherokee like most SJ's had a broken hood release cable. I bought a new cable and installed it. The effort to release the two hood latches was excessive so I used a screwdriver to get it open. I removed both hood pins and the latch mechanism from the hood. I've cleaned and lubed them and I am ready to install them. I went to the TSM to get instructions and they don't seem to address that procedure. I am sure I can muddle through it but if any one has been through this I would appreciate any tips.

tgreese

Re: hood pin adjustment

Post by tgreese »

Since no one with better cred has jumped to answer this ... A job like this would be in the body man's realm, I'd think. If you torqued the hood, I presume you'd start by putting a block in the opening and bending it back until it closed straight and even without the latch and alignment pins. The hinges are already in the right place, so don't move those. Then put the pins in and see where you are. You might be able to put the pins in loose and see where the hood moves them. It's like aligning doors - you make a guess and see if it gets better. Then go more or less, depending on the result. Rinse and repeat.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Re: hood pin adjustment

Post by SJTD »

I figger you set the stops first to get the hood parallel to the top of the fenders then set the latch pins to so the hood doesn't bounce.

I guess you could do it the other way. Set the pins to where they need to be gap-wise when you pull up on the hood then set the stops to get rid of play.

I gotta say this is one of the few areas that I think is very well designed on these things.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.