1990 GW door lock actuators

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jdm1990gw

1990 GW door lock actuators

Post by Jdm1990gw »

I put in new door lock actuators. All 4 in fact from team grand wagoneer. Used screws to hold them in place instead of rivets. Only one problem, the new ones lock the door but aren’t strong enough to unlock them. I’ve cleaned them and greased them. I see this is a problem for everyone. Only thing I can think of doing is taking them apart and sand blasting the components

sirrus
Vendor

Re: 1990 GW door lock actuators

Post by sirrus »

Before taking them apart - try putting 12 volts straight from the battery to the connector in the passenger door too see if it makes a difference. If you don't have wire long enough to run from battery terminals, you can use 12 v from red/yellow wire in the door and scuff plate screws as a ground point
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

rsturek

Post by rsturek »

JDM,

I had the same issue with My 1990, I put in new Lock actuators and doors still would not lock/unlock very well with the remote. They tried to move but not enough to lock or unlock. I solved it by pulling All (I mean all!) internal door parts out, from the door handle to the door lock knobs down to the Actuator. Hit the parts with a wire wheel on a drill to clean all the crud off, flush all movable parts & pivot locations with WD40. Then clean the WD40 off completely. Then lube pivot locations and movable parts with White lithium grease per the service manual recommendations.

That fixed all my door lock/unlock issues, its a lot of work! But worth it.

Good luck!

Topic author
Jdm1990gw

Post by Jdm1990gw »

Thank you guys. The power wire straight from the battery didn’t make a difference. Looks like I’ll be removing all internals and giving them a good cleaning