'77 J20 - AMC 360 - Poor starting - intake backfire - no idle

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
SPK_J20

Re: '77 J20 - AMC 360 - Poor starting - intake backfire - no idle

Post by SPK_J20 »

letank wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:36 pm Recheck for vacuum leak at the base of the carb at the thick fiber gasket, the edelbrock might be different in term of seal with a brake cleaner spray, carb cleaner to make sure that there are no base gasket issues. If you have an edelbrock carb you may have either a different intake manifold or an adapter. Pict are always good.
Welcome to the asylum
Good suggestion, will check again. I used a Trans-dapt adaptor to go from Edelbrock square bore to stock AMC360 spread bore. The setup from the previous owner was a little ridiculous, stacks of mismatched spacers and gaskets. I also have the stock phenolic spacer under that, so it really wouldn't surprise me if there is a leak there. I had planned on pulling out that spacer to see how it ran with just the aluminum spacer.

What is the consensus from the group on the necessity of a phenolic/insulating spacer?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

SPK_J20 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:54 pm What is the consensus from the group on the necessity of a phenolic/insulating spacer?
They hurt nothing, but can really help isolate heat from the carb, which helps with vapor lock.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

I would make the spacers and adapters as simple and as few as possible until you get it running 'okay'.

I don't suggest swapping the ignition yet. You will add complexity to the trouble shooting. Yes, it might work but if you can't get the truck to even start you will have gone a step backward. Points are cheap and pretty easy to replace. If you don't have a dwell meter, your local parts store might have one they can loan you OR you can set the points using a feeler gauge. It's usually better to get it running before you swap in 'new and different' parts. That's my two cents. :)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
SPK_J20

Post by SPK_J20 »

will e wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:15 pm I would make the spacers and adapters as simple and as few as possible until you get it running 'okay'.

I don't suggest swapping the ignition yet. You will add complexity to the trouble shooting. Yes, it might work but if you can't get the truck to even start you will have gone a step backward. Points are cheap and pretty easy to replace. If you don't have a dwell meter, your local parts store might have one they can loan you OR you can set the points using a feeler gauge. It's usually better to get it running before you swap in 'new and different' parts. That's my two cents. :)
Your two cents is absolutely valid. My plan is to chip away at things and test along the way. Starting with one more check for vacuum leaks, simplifying the stack under the carb, changing the fuel pump, then move on to ignition. Starting from the beginning always helps me.

Topic author
SPK_J20

Post by SPK_J20 »

Well everyone I GOT THE OL' GIRL RUNNING!

I started with the fuel pump. It was nice to see a much more vigorous flow of fuel through the filter, but still no start.

I moved on to the carb, I removed the phenolic spacer to simplify that path and eliminate potential leaks. No start.

I double checked for vacuum leaks and straightened out a couple thing, the EGR valve was seized and the vacuum routing need a little tending. No start.

Finally I pulled the old distributor and dropped in the new Summit HEI with MSD cables. After some careful static timing SHE LIT RIGHT UP!! Between the VERY OLD coil, scrappy wiring and points ignition, something was fouling me up.

She starts really easily now, runs great, definitely needs to be timed, getting a bit of hesitation from time to time, but I'm really blown away! No more smell of gas in the cab and she purrs like a kitten!

Can't thank you all enough for the help working through this issue!

77Chief77

Post by 77Chief77 »

SPK_J20 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:28 am Well everyone I GOT THE OL' GIRL RUNNING!

I started with the fuel pump. It was nice to see a much more vigorous flow of fuel through the filter, but still no start.

I moved on to the carb, I removed the phenolic spacer to simplify that path and eliminate potential leaks. No start.

I double checked for vacuum leaks and straightened out a couple thing, the EGR valve was seized and the vacuum routing need a little tending. No start.

Finally I pulled the old distributor and dropped in the new Summit HEI with MSD cables. After some careful static timing SHE LIT RIGHT UP!! Between the VERY OLD coil, scrappy wiring and points ignition, something was fouling me up.

She starts really easily now, runs great, definitely needs to be timed, getting a bit of hesitation from time to time, but I'm really blown away! No more smell of gas in the cab and she purrs like a kitten!

That's great to hear! I'm slowly working on diagnosing a rough start up issue. So far it seems to be electrical/ignition. Would you happen to have a link to the summit HEI?
1977 Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, QT

Topic author
SPK_J20

Post by SPK_J20 »

77Chief77 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:18 am
SPK_J20 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:28 am Well everyone I GOT THE OL' GIRL RUNNING!

That's great to hear! I'm slowly working on diagnosing a rough start up issue. So far it seems to be electrical/ignition. Would you happen to have a link to the summit HEI?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850048
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-890148

Much cheaper than the Davis Unified version, super high quality, make sure you order the pig tail also!

77Chief77

Post by 77Chief77 »

SPK_J20 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:57 am

Much cheaper than the Davis Unified version, super high quality, make sure you order the pig tail also!
Thank you! How was the fitment? How close were you to the power steering tank?
And can I just run a new standalone 12 gauge wire from the starter solinoid to power it?

Topic author
SPK_J20

Post by SPK_J20 »

77Chief77 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:46 am

And can I just run a new standalone 12 gauge wire from the starter solinoid to power it?
The fit is tight, but fine. just keep a close eye on the fuel line from the pump and the wiring harness that runs from the distributer to the coil on top.

Since you wont need the old coil anymore, you'll have a spare switched 12v power wire.

77Chief77

Post by 77Chief77 »

SPK_J20 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:23 am
77Chief77 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:46 am

The fit is tight, but fine. just keep a close eye on the fuel line from the pump and the wiring harness that runs from the distributer to the coil on top.

Since you wont need the old coil anymore, you'll have a spare switched 12v power wire.
Thanks for the info!

Topic author
SPK_J20

Post by SPK_J20 »

Update on this thread:

The ol' girl quit on me a couple of blocks from the house. Got it back home to find that it had skipped time on the distributor drive cam gear, likely the root cause of this entire problem. The new distributor was a temporary band aid, but DON'T SKIP ON THAT NEW CAM GEAR FOLKS!!! I got over eager. When I looked down the distributor hole it was apparent the cam gear was done. Got some new parts coming, glad to have found the heart of the issue, glad to have the timing cover off for some good inspection, a new timing set and to fix some leaks!

letank

Post by letank »

SPK_J20 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:04 am Update on this thread:

The ol' girl quit on me a couple of blocks from the house. Got it back home to find that it had skipped time on the distributor drive cam gear, likely the root cause of this entire problem. The new distributor was a temporary band aid, but DON'T SKIP ON THAT NEW CAM GEAR FOLKS!!! I got over eager. When I looked down the distributor hole it was apparent the cam gear was done. Got some new parts coming, glad to have found the heart of the issue, glad to have the timing cover off for some good inspection, a new timing set and to fix some leaks!
Make sure that you check the alignment of the oiling hole

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12192&start=20
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
SPK_J20

Post by SPK_J20 »

letank wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:10 pm
SPK_J20 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:04 am Update on this thread:

Make sure that you check the alignment of the oiling hole

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12192&start=20

THANKS, I'll check!

BenD

Post by BenD »

SPK_J20 glad you found the root problem, diagnosis is half the fun, right. Just thought I'ld jump on here to say a spray can of ether squirted at the base of the carb is a quick, easy way to check for carb gasket leaks. also works spraying at the intake to head runners to check for leaks at the that point. A rise in rpm at idle is a sure giveaway.