Transfer yokes

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Phils67

Transfer yokes

Post by Phils67 »

Does anyone know if the yoke from a dana 20 and a dana 18 are interchangeable? I have a plan to use a flange yoke for a dana18 on my dana 20 to bolt a rotor and build a driveline brake. Some cjs with the 18 had a flange type yoke. Thought maybe it would be a cool setup
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

66stepside

Re: Transfer yokes

Post by 66stepside »

Phils67 wrote:Does anyone know if the yoke from a dana 20 and a dana 18 are interchangeable? I have a plan to use a flange yoke for a dana18 on my dana 20 to bolt a rotor and build a driveline brake. Some cjs with the 18 had a flange type yoke. Thought maybe it would be a cool setup
I’ve been debating on whether or not to swap in a dana 20 t case onto the t90 in my 54 Willy’s truck.

Instead, I looked into doing the very swap you are talking about and the internet yielded mixed results and reviews. I am trying to modernize the drivelines without paying a fortune on some high end stuff.

I snagged a willy’s wagon and it came with the “newer style” yoke.

Here’s a pic of the splines:

Here is a pic of the older style yoke commonly found in earlier Willy’s trucks (this one is off my 54):

Today, I pulled this yoke off a Dana 20 t case out of a 66-71 Wagoneer:

Here are the two “newer style” yikes side by side:

Top view:

Here is the Dana 20 yoke on my Dana 18 t case:

So I’d say yes it will fit, but probably not every year Dana 18, perhaps just mid 50’s and later?

Most of my research came up with “wide mouth”, or “wide mouthed” transfer cases. So I think that refers to 54ish and later Dana 18 t cases. I’m not sure of the differences between wide mouth t cases and other versions, though.

It seemed as if the MB, CJa, and maybe early CJ5 t cases were smaller in their openings to mate them to the transmissions?

So, I guess, I’d say yes it will fit, but probably not every year Dana 18, perhaps just mid 50’s and later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I don't know offhand. You might ask at an early CJ-5 forum. They have experience with the Dana 18 and likely know what interchanges.
http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

In the pics it looks to me like one has a larger seal surface than the other, so it might boil down to finding the correct seal surface. Also looks like both are the same size shaft and 10 spline. I'm thinking if one could fit I could just find a driveline brake rotor and caliper, make some brackets and run a cable to my pedal (I know, it always sounds so simple on paper lol)
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The seal surface might prove to be important here.

I installed the front yoke off a Quadra Trac t case into the front portion of the Dana 18 just now:

It, too, was the same spline count. It all spins as it should so far. Of course there’s no fluid in the case either. So, the real test comes when I button this puppy up and test drive her?

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

A seal is easy, just take a micrometer to the original seal outer diameter and the other yokes seals inner diameter and call NAPA with the numbers you have. They'll 99.9% of the time find something to work. That's how I found the knuckle bearings in my old closed housing

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Phils67 wrote:A seal is easy, just take a micrometer to the original seal outer diameter and the other yokes seals inner diameter and call NAPA with the numbers you have. They'll 99.9% of the time find something to work. That's how I found the knuckle bearings in my old closed housing
Very true. That’s the plan if she starts leaking like a sieve.

The “Old Willy’s Forum” is a good source of info on the pre 63 stuff... true willy’s era rigs. Willy’s trucks are kinda new to me and the learning curve takes some getting used to! Image

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Yeah man. Old jeeps always seemed like the hardest thing to get parts for. You'd think with the huge cult following the brand has there would be better support. Jeep ownership requires ingenuity haha

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Phils67 wrote:Yeah man. Old jeeps always seemed like the hardest thing to get parts for. You'd think with the huge cult following the brand has there would be better support. Jeep ownership requires ingenuity haha
Image That is so true. I was wondering why no one has come up with a set of gears to make the T90 a true synchronized 3 speed with so many of them running around in older jeeps.

If I win the mega millions, I’ll get that done!

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Because it's not Chevy/Ford/Dodge. Jeepers swap parts from the big 3 as an upgrade due to availability and support.. Few just upgrade their original equipment. Partially due to lack of parts support, partially due to weaknesses in designs,partially lack of ingenuity. Jeeps were always light duty/mid grade for the most part even though they were tough and got the job done. I've used very few parts from other vehicle brands, I tend to try to keep it all Jeep (4L, Cj, FSJ, YJ etc). I will mix and match jeep models to get the desired result. Really the only non Jeep thing on my truck that isnt home made or from another brand vehicle are my rear springs and brackets and now pending the wheels. Motor is XJ, fuel tank/pump is TJ, dome light is YJ etc etc lol they are like the Mr Potatoheads of automobiles

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

they are like the Mr Potatoheads of automobiles
My god this is so true.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Funny but I read that as potheads. :lol:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Hahaha, yeah, I agree with Z) all of the above.

Some guy behind the counter of the Autoparts store told my son to “just order parts off of LMC Truck” the other day.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Just a yoke update: the tranny and t case are installed, topped off with fluid, and I’m working on drivelines next- BUT there are no leaks with her sitting, waiting for the time to move again.

I thought that was important as the narrowed 44 leaked a bit out of the rear seal and everything in that axle was brand spanking new.