door stainless trim removal

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
slackin'

door stainless trim removal

Post by slackin' »

hey all,
Im doing a ground up resto and wondering how to remover the stainless trim from around the door glass frame.
this is a j10 and doors are completely gutted.

is it possible to get them off without messing them up?
I started to try but decided to check here before continuing.

Ideally I want to see it painted before I decide to put it back on or not.
Im on the fence about paint(red), satin black, or pop the stainless trim back on.

thanksl

Hspencer

Re: door stainless trim removal

Post by Hspencer »

You have to bend the little tabs out and then gently pry them off. I used some cheap plastic chisels from harbor freight. It can be done just takes some fineness and time. Getting them back on without messing up the new paint is the challenge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

What HSpencer said. Start with the top piece. There are some small fold over tabs on each vertical end that need to be pulled back. From there using a nylon pry tool (a bone}, pry from the the window channel out and up GENTLY. Very gently. Start on one end and slowly work towards the other. Then do each vertical end the same way, working from the window opening. The stainless has a U channel and were made to be "popped on." They do not pop off however. It helps a lot if the weatherstrip in the door channel is already out. There is a nylon tool set or two available on the cheap from the place that claims to sell freight down by the harbor. These type of tools are wear items anyways and designed to be used up and tossed. Just try not to bodger the lip too much so you can snap them back on later. New weather strip will hide some.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
slackin'

Post by slackin' »

thanks all!
onward!

StretchinSD

Post by StretchinSD »

slackin' wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:38 am thanks all!
onward!
This video may help.

https://youtu.be/sgzuNBNHawo