Emissions reconnect on a modified engine

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
RustyDusty

Emissions reconnect on a modified engine

Post by RustyDusty »

A bit of background:
I have a 1990 FSJ. The PO semi-removed all of the emission equipment. :banghead: I live in N. VA. We have emissions inspections.
I do not mind emission controls, as I also like breathing. I am interested in making the FSJ run better/cleaner.
I removed all vacuum lines (many cracked and leaking), rebuilt the carb, and the engine runs very well currently.
Local garage has offered to do a pre-inspection in order to give me an emissions punchlist. I would like to get this thing as close as possible so that he might overlook the carb (Just rebuilt. Runs nicely. Will become TBI after legalized.)
PO replaced intake with an RB4 (no EGR. No place to install the EGR CTO.)

1) Would an Edelbrock RPM provide an EGR CTO port?
2) PO installed a Holley 4160, so I am having to be creative with my vacuum hookups.
3) Is this diagram correct so far?
4) What does the 'F' mean on the Dual CTO?
5) Are the 'E' and 'S' on the carb for EGR and Spark, and if so, which is the best port on the 4160 for the EGR?
What are 'C' and 'D'?
6) When installing a vacuum delay valve, does the white always face toward the vacuum source?
7) As my carburetor vent valve seems to have been sitting on top of the engine, disconnected both electrically and pneumatically for 15+ years, can this be used with the 4160 in any way?
1990JeepVacuumDiagram.png
Any other help would be appreciated. Much time has passed since I played with an old, non-computerized, car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 Grand Wag
R4B/Holley 4160
I might lament the amount of grease and oil on the underside, until I think about the lack of rust.

will e

Re: Emissions reconnect on a modified engine

Post by will e »

You need to find out which systems they specifically inspect and how. Here in AZ, on my 1983, an EGR is not included in the visual inspection but the complicated AIR system is. Also evaporative systems (fuel bowl, gas vents, etc) are visually inspected as well as the existence of a CAT.

Then they sniff the tail pipe.

My AIR is not functional but my CO2 and HO are almost zero due to a newer CAT.

So I admire your enthusiasm to keep the air clean. But you will find some systems are more effective than others.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Fury5

Post by Fury5 »

Here's a link to a very well written blog post that outlines the functioning of vacuum systems that control spark, EGR, and several other systems relevant to emissions. It's a good place to start.

http://tc.wagoneer.org/search/label/Emissions

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

One option might be the Howell throttle body fuel injection kit. When installed per instructions, it's 50-states legal and exempt from most of the emissions plumbing you would need to make a '90 pass an emissions inspection. Depends on the laws in your state, but I would guess that carburetor on a manifold where neither are emissions certified will never pass a visual inspection. The last 4-barrel carbs on these cars were 1978 (1979?) and they were all 2V Motorcraft carbs after that.

Depending on the state/locale, you could have an emissions test (tailpipe test) or a visual inspection, or both. If you have a visual, I would expect that nothing aftermarket will pass. A 4V carb on an aluminum manifold is a big red flag - an inspector would have to be blind to miss that.

Regarding your specific questions, don't know about the manifold. Probably not. If this car were important to me, I would spend the money and buy the factory service manual which explains a lot of what you see on the vacuum diagram. Is that your art work or something you found on the net? Your questions on the diagram or somebody else?

The F is probably a filter to allow filtered air to relieve the vacuum when needed. C & D don't know, likely explained in the TSM.

An aftermarket carburetor likely does not have a bowl vent that is compatible with the vent system. Unlikely the inspector will pass any 4V carb anyway. Since there's no bowl, the bowl vent goes away with TBI.

If you do the TBI now using the Howell kit, you'll get a compliance sticker that will solve a lot of your problems. https://howellefi.com/product/tbi-kit-1 ... ons-legal/
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

RustyDusty wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:33 am A bit of background:
I have a 1990 FSJ. The PO semi-removed all of the emission equipment. :banghead: I live in N. VA. We have emissions inspections.
I do not mind emission controls, as I also like breathing. I am interested in making the FSJ run better/cleaner.
I removed all vacuum lines (many cracked and leaking), rebuilt the carb, and the engine runs very well currently.
Local garage has offered to do a pre-inspection in order to give me an emissions punchlist. I would like to get this thing as close as possible so that he might overlook the carb (Just rebuilt. Runs nicely. Will become TBI after legalized.)
PO replaced intake with an RB4 (no EGR. No place to install the EGR CTO.)

1) Would an Edelbrock RPM provide an EGR CTO port?
2) PO installed a Holley 4160, so I am having to be creative with my vacuum hookups.
3) Is this diagram correct so far?
4) What does the 'F' mean on the Dual CTO?
5) Are the 'E' and 'S' on the carb for EGR and Spark, and if so, which is the best port on the 4160 for the EGR?
What are 'C' and 'D'?
6) When installing a vacuum delay valve, does the white always face toward the vacuum source?
7) As my carburetor vent valve seems to have been sitting on top of the engine, disconnected both electrically and pneumatically for 15+ years, can this be used with the 4160 in any way?
1990JeepVacuumDiagram.png
Any other help would be appreciated. Much time has passed since I played with an old, non-computerized, car.

I live in northern virginia. There is no emission inspection for vehicles 25 years or older lol in virginia.

Id rip all the emission crap off if it were me. My 90 has a normal modern cat i put on it. I took the air pump and long tube off. I onky had one side of air injection tubes left anyway the otherside musta rusted off the manifold as someone welded them.. So i just plugged the otherside eith a brass plug and silicone.

My egr is also broken so i just plugged it with screws in the vacuum lines

I also got rid of the stock airhat and all the vacuum line bullcrap. And just went with an open air intake. Yea i know a fresh air intake is better.. but i dont think ill notice anything eith a whopping 145hp lol. I saved all my emission stuff in storage if i were to ever move..

But yea virginia doesnt do emissions on 25 years or older.. in fact you couldnt even find a shop that has a sniffer machine if you looked.. all they have are computers now. Even the ZJ grand cherokee is 25 years old for the older ones my zj is 22 in 3 years i wont need emissions anymore either and that Jeep uses OBD2.

Id love to know which shop is trying to rip you off claiming that you need to do emissions. (Emission punch list intitial inspection). Gimme the shop name so i can report them to virginia state police for scamming you.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)