Power Source to Steering Column: 76 J20

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

It’s been a series of cleaning contact points on all the electrical wires to the starter, battery, solenoid, and then replacing the broken ignition switch on the column. That’s the good news.

The bad news is that there is no power supply to the steering column itself. In fact there is no power to anything except a direct line to an after market gage.

What wire is the power source to the column: The thicker red one, or the red wire with the white stripe on the 76 column?

All the fuses check out in good condition, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgreese

Re: Power Source to Steering Column: 76 J20

Post by tgreese »

Look here - http://oljeep.com/gw/76_tsm/Section22.pdf The wiring diagram in the complete '76 TSM is a PDF and you can zoom it. Page 15. There is a 12 ga red wire for power that comes from splice B, which is the big power splice under the dash. Leaving the switch is a 14 ga red w/tr wire that looks like it is the switched ignition power.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tgreese wrote:Look here - http://oljeep.com/gw/76_tsm/Section22.pdf The wiring diagram in the complete '76 TSM is a PDF and you can zoom it. Page 15. There is a 12 ga red wire for power that comes from splice B, which is the big power splice under the dash. Leaving the switch is a 14 ga red w/tr wire that looks like it is the switched ignition power.
Thank you!

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

I have a 1975 harness and a 75 column on the bench right now checking things out for a member that needs . Mine is glass fusses .I do not now the cut off year for glass fusses . If yours is glass and you need pictures I can text you . This is a uncut factory harness rare .
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

fsj454 wrote:I have a 1975 harness and a 75 column on the bench right now checking things out for a member that needs . Mine is glass fusses .I do not now the cut off year for glass fusses . If yours is glass and you need pictures I can text you . This is a uncut factory harness rare .

Yeah, I think 75-76 year is a big change.

Mine does have the glass fuses, so I think I have an early 76.

My harness appears to be in tact, BUT it looks like someone unplugged the firewall connection to run additional wires to the electric brake set up.

I’m thinking the problem is that the connections at the firewall are not tight enough to run power to anything. There are no lights, no power to anything under the dash.

I’ll DM you if I need pics- thank you for that!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Speaking of pics, here are a few shots of my problem:

Note in the above pic, in the upper right corner, there is a missing male connector to the three pronged connector. Not sure why they chalked the plug.

On the fuse box, nothing is hot with the key in any position: off/locked, run, start, or accessory positions checked.

Edit:

All fuses are in good working order.

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

How are the fusable links?
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

Under hood pictures , That round plug to the right of the fuse block is where the power comes into the ignition . And it looks like it overheated and burned I would start there . I will look I mite have that under hood harness
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

fsj454 wrote:Under hood pictures , That round plug to the right of the fuse block is where the power comes into the ignition . And it looks like it overheated and burned I would start there . I will look I mite have that under hood harness

Ok, good to know.

I supplied power to this yellow wire (circled in pic). I now have horn, wipers, headlights and incoming power to the steering column. With the key turned to the on position, I have power to the coil as well, but no start.

I’m leaning toward the neutral safety switch as the problem. Any way to ground out/neutralize it temporarily to see if this is the problem?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I double checked everything and wasn’t getting the right power to the “S” terminal, traced that wire to a funky splice and cut the other wire off- she now turns over with the key!

Now to see if I can get her running.

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

Rephrase . The ignition power is on the right half of fuse block under hood .. I took some good pictures .Harness is out on the bench with engine harness connected to fuse block .pm me TY