updated w pix. NP 229 stuck in neutral, no forward movement

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Clever Username

updated w pix. NP 229 stuck in neutral, no forward movement

Post by Clever Username »

I could use some tech help concerning the NP 229 transfer case.
UPDATED: I was able to determine the vacuum shift motor will engage 2wd and 4wd with vacuum, the issue seems to be the shift rod doesn't move. Currently it is inline with the mode lever. I've loaded pictures, does anyone know the correct orientation of the two plates to be in 2HI?
transfer case pix.jpg
diagram.jpg
mode rod side view.jpg

I have an 89 GW with 727 and NP 229. Engine, Trans and TC were removed and cleaned, found crack in top of TC shell and replaced with another shell. This required a disassembly of gear guts and reassembly, took awhile but was able to put back together. I used the factory manuals for reference, everything functioned smoothly before install. Finally ready for test drive yesterday and truck would accelerate to 30MPH but no up/down shifting was noticeable, SJ felt to be stuck in 4Hi, maybe even 4Lo, I have no frame of reference since the truck was a non-runner when I started the project several months ago.

Returned and parked in driveway, and after lunch I went to start the Jeep and return it to garage, however when shifting into D, there was no forward movement, as if the TC was stuck in neutral.
1. jacked truck up and when I spin tire by hand it moves the drive shaft, front tire moved front driveshaft, and rear moved rear shaft. Shafts did not move together, not sure if that matters.
2. I uncoupled the TC vacuum motor and shift rod to attempt to manually engage 2HI to no avail. Vacuum motor shifts fine, the shift rod seems to be bound up at TC.
3. the 4wd light is illuminated on left side of dash.
4. the front drive shaft spins easily by hand, the rear is a lot "stiffer".
5. The truck would move in reverse but not drive forward

Before I pull out the TC again to investigate, is there a test/procedure to figure out what range I'm in and how to engage into 2 HI manually from under the truck?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: updated w pix. NP 229 stuck in neutral, no forward movement

Post by Stuka »

The truck not shifting out of first gear is unrelated to the t-case. Thats strictly a transmission issue.

As for the t-case, make sure the transmission in in neutral when shifting from high-low. A lot of times you need to be rolling slowly to unbind the gears in the t-case. But since you were spinning the drive shafts, that won't be needed.

The front shaft will have resistance because of the viscous coupler in the t-case.

I think you are dealing with two issues. Both a trans and t-case issue. To start I would manually put the t-case in 2wd high, which should mean putting the shift rail all the way in (towards the back) if my memory serves me correct.

Then, see if you can move forwards or backwards. If either direction works, your t-case is fine while in 2wd High. If only one way works, its your transmission. If it won't shift out of first gear, its your transmission or kick down. Since the transmission was out, you need to make sure the kick down was setup properly.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Clever Username

Thank you for the response Stuka. In your experience should the TC shift into 2Hi and 4Hi with ease? Seems the shift rod is not budging manually which may be the culprit.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, 2hi to 4hi should pretty easy. Getting out of low can be temperamental if the engine is running, but should not be an issue with the engine off and trans in neutral.

Did it shift ok after you installed it for a while?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Clever Username

No, appears the internals are bound up, it won't shift manually into 2hi, seems to be stuck in 4hi. Looks like i'm dropping the TC this weekend. Thanks again for the insight.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Did you get the leetle rod between the shift rails installed that keeps you from catching low and high at the same time?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Clever Username

shift rail diagram.jpg
SJTD, this is the 229 shift rail diagram, are the rods you mentioned in the diagram #9, 15 or 25?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Maybe there's no interlock on these. I don't see it in the picher unless it's #15.

Did you have the rails out?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

SJTD wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:00 pm Maybe there's no interlock on these. I don't see it in the picher unless it's #15.

Did you have the rails out?
I think you are confusing this with a D20 or NP205. There is no way to be in 4wd high and low at the same time in these cases to my knowledge.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Clever Username

needle bearings.jpg
Well I discovered the reason i couldn't shift into 2HI...it was a needle bearing massacre

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Yikes! That'll do it! Hope the removal and repair are pretty painless for you.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD