Early (pre-74) tailgate to body seal?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
loganobrien121

Early (pre-74) tailgate to body seal?

Post by loganobrien121 »

Does anyone know of a compatible part or source for the early tailgate to body seals? The ones that don’t attach to the pinchwelds?
"Betty Blue"
'71 Wag
Buick 350/TH400/D20

"The Bride of Frankenstein"
Green and some uh rust... color...
'73 Wagoneer.
360/TH400

Joodan24

Re: Early (pre-74) tailgate to body seal?

Post by Joodan24 »

I have a 64 Wagoneer, very different seals all around from later model j - series. Especially the doors. I have been searching high and low for door seals (I have 2 64 Pickups as well) and ultimately, they only come for the later model ones (post 1971). I have however, verified that the early model FSJ door openings are exactly the same as the later models. The early models have a door seal on the door and a trim cover thing around the door opening. Later model doors have no seal on them, instead the door seal "clips" onto the door opening pinch weld where the early model trim cover thing exists. Now that being said, Team Grand Wagonner sells a complete seal kit for wagoneers (late model) as well as individual seal packages. I have yet to order a kit but I will be ordering one within the next 3 months.

Now you must be wondering, why is he talking about doors when this post is about the tailgate? And honestly, I just verified all this last week and I wanted to share but also, if there's one thing i have learned about the early model FSJs is that they did not change the body one bit for the late model ones. I would look at the Team Grand Wagoneer tailgate seals, compare to yours, and see if they will work. I am almost certain that they will be exactly the same or that you can retrofit them to your style.

Good luck.

Rory

Post by Rory »

Just posted this on another thread, but I used Metro LP-80S on the tailgate. I think I bought it from Rockauto. A little bigger than the door weatherstripping and makes a good seal as long as you don't try to wrap it around the corners. Cut at 45s and glue. I know that later Wags have a little bit different sheet metal in the tailgate opening to mount the pinch weld style.Image
1965 Wagoneer 327/T89/D20 SBC 350/700R4 5.3 in the future!
1974 Cherokee 360/TH400/QT (parts)

Topic author
loganobrien121

Post by loganobrien121 »

Awesome!! That’s what I was looking for. I was trying to hamfist the other, pinchweld type on and it obviously wasn’t working. I’m definitely going to pick up one ot these, thanks!
"Betty Blue"
'71 Wag
Buick 350/TH400/D20

"The Bride of Frankenstein"
Green and some uh rust... color...
'73 Wagoneer.
360/TH400