Engine stalling again

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
atf01

Engine stalling again

Post by atf01 »

Hello everyone, I posted this over at good ol' ifsja but it's been dying lately so I'm guessing I'll get better chances here.

1980 360/727/219 wag

I've got a weird stalling and starting issue, engine starts right up when the starter works properly, and there's no sputtering so I'm ruling fuel and carb out, it stalls at idle and at wot, anytime at random, definitely feels like spark just shuts off, now, back to the starter, the starter isn't working properly most of the time, it cranks intermittently, meaning it turns the engine a bit then stops then turns a bit again, I've noticed when I disconnect the ign module it cranks normally, the ignition module is new, motorcraft, (albeit a chinese one I'm guessing, since I doubt they're made in the US anymore), so is the starter solenoid.

Had this stalling issue a while back, it cured itself for a couple of months after I changed the module, I'm starting to suspect it's the wiring but I wiggled it all around and it didn't stall, maybe it's the pickup coil?, since I'm having that intermittent starter operation issue it all must be related right?

Also the wiring is pretty crusty and repaired (properly with crimps and heatshrink) maybe I should replace all of the wiring for the ign system?

PS: I did tighten the starter cables, they were loose a month ago and the cable was getting really hot, the starter issue cleared up a bit but it's back to being as bad as it was before.

PS 2: for what it might be worth, the NSS's been bypassed I'm not sure how but it's never worked and I lost the wiring to the nss a few years back when the connector got loose and the wiring got ripped out by the front driveshaft, the rest of that piece of the harness is intact, it just got up to the connector above the bellhousing, and the ammeter bypass was "done" except it's still plugged all the way to the ammeter but there's a big wire straight from battery to the alt.

PossumJr

Re: Engine stalling again

Post by PossumJr »

Did your starter behave the same even before changing the solenoid? Have you messed with that enough to say the starter engages and works full stop with the ignition module disconnected? The wire that has 12 volts during cranking splits at the bulkhead connector on the firewall and goes to both the ignition module and the solenoid. If taking the module out makes the starter work fine it may be it that the module is the culprit. It should go without saying to double check connections and wiring to make sure there are no shorts, corrosion, or bad grounds anyway (solenoid is grounded through the mounting bracket).

Also does either issue start only after things are warmed up and have been running for a bit?
1979 J10, 360/QT