CVR or something else (gauge issue)

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
dodgerammit

CVR or something else (gauge issue)

Post by dodgerammit »

Today, I went out to start my Jeep after getting my hair cut. Had ran several errands around town. Basically getting some seat time while I can before the engine goes under the knife.

Anyhoo, right after starting, the first thing I notice was no oil pressure reading (habit from flying days). I reach to shut the engine down, but then notice the other two gauges are also dead. Okay, the CVR is bad in the water temp.

Then, the gauges begin to work at a much reduced indication.

Had just filled up the day before. Fuel was reading 1/4 tank. Should have been above 3/4.

Water temp was middle of cool spot. Should have went to 1/3 of the way through the green arc.

Oil pressure came up to about 5 psi. Should have been about 20-25.

Drove home. Decided it was a nice day to drive it to work regardless of the issue.

After work, go out to start it. Immediatly hit the headlight switch. Gauges come alive like nothing was wrong.

Hindsight tells me I should have waited to hit the switch to know if that actually changed anything or the problem just decided this was the time to go dormant. :banghead:

So, is this a CVR possibility? I always thought they just died. Can they do intermittent stuff like this before going out?

Are there other things I should check? I seriously doubt all senders went wonky at the same time. This seems more for par to be a voltage problem.

Thanks!
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

will e

Re: CVR or something else (gauge issue)

Post by will e »

loose ground. It would explain the intermittent nature of the issue.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Fun fun. I love chasing grounds. Guessing start with the gauge cluster and work from there.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Update. I remembered recently replacing the ground leads to the battery. Backed off the bolts, re tightened, made sure nothing wiggled, even a little. Gauges have held solid for about 50 miles of varied driving. So far, so good.