Gauge cluster lights not working

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
superdave

Gauge cluster lights not working

Post by superdave »

I've been working on the electrical system on my 77 Wag and can't seem to get the gauge lights to work. The hi beam indicator, seat belt, and other warning lights work, but the gauges won't light up with the headlights on. So far I've replaced all the bulbs, replaced the headlight switch, and confirmed power is reaching terminal J on the 8 pin connector that plugs into the back of the cluster. I'm starting to wonder if the circuit board is toast (pic attached) or is there a ground I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dave Knoerzer
1977 Wagoneer 360/400/QT stock as far as I can tell

Hspencer

Re: Gauge cluster lights not working

Post by Hspencer »

Have you tried using jumper wires and a 12v battery source to bench test. At least that would rule the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Hspencer wrote:Have you tried using jumper wires and a 12v battery source to bench test. At least that would rule the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, but that's a good idea. I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks!
Dave Knoerzer
1977 Wagoneer 360/400/QT stock as far as I can tell

letank

Post by letank »

on the 74 for years I had that same issue, added extra ground, after a while I decided to bypass the headlight switch to get rid of the dash light dimmer control, it was a bit better but not dazzling.
At some point I realized that the blinker indicator light for one side was brighter than the other... I found a ground loop in the opposite blinker assembly, replaced the boobie blinker block with a spare one and both indicator worked even, reinstalled the dimmer switch in the dash light circuit and got better dash light, but they are not as bright as latter models... moved to led...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

kZ900Jim

Post by kZ900Jim »

put led replacement bulbs in there while you have it out... I did that to my '96 XJ... best $ i've ever spent on it...
'Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Naivete in adults is often Charming, but when coupled with vanity it is indistinguishable from stupidity.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Wiggle the pins and see if any are loose on the board. Re solder if they are.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

anthonyleonardelli

Post by anthonyleonardelli »

Better Late Than Never, Your missing the main Ground, It's the yellow and black wire with bulb that goes in your missing hole, I have they same cluster and I have that one pulled testing all my bulbs with a 12 volt Battery.