Fixing leaks on plastic gas tank.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
NorthGaAire

Fixing leaks on plastic gas tank.

Post by NorthGaAire »

The PO installed a plastic gas tank.

I had to install a new pick up tube with new gaskets and new gaskets on the send unit plate.

I still get leaks around the two openings - between the plates and gasket.

What are my options other than buying new hardware?
Is there any sealer that I can trust to hold and stop the leaks?

Thanks.
NorthGaAire
1978 Cherokee 4dr, 360v8, T18 4spd, Twin stick Dana 20, SOA conversion (7" lift), trac lock rear axle, 3.54 axle ratio, 33"x10.5"-15 Toyo MT's on factory steel wheels, Cliff hanger front bumper, Evil Twin rear bumper with swing out spare.

tgreese

Re: Fixing leaks on plastic gas tank.

Post by tgreese »

Pretty sure the only source for these tanks is MTS. Here is their web site - http://www.mtscompany.com/J-truck.htm They could best tell you what to do to seal those openings. I'd give them a call and ask for advice.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

You should be able to find a Fuel resistand adhesive at and parts store. Make sure the area is very clean before applying and let it dry over night before using.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I had a similar issue with my sending unit when I replaced it. My issue is that I was trying to use the flat cork gasket that came with the sending unit. The MTS tanks are designed to use an O-Ring on both openings. BJ's sells them. I was in quick need of one, so I measured and went to my local ace hardware. Finally found one with a large enough diameter, although it was a touch thicker. But solved the leak issue.

One word of caution as well. Watch the clearance between the frame crossmember and your forward mounting sending unit in the tank. The threaded post on the top of the sending unit may actually come in contact with that crossmember when the tank is fully installed. It was basically throwing all kind of weird readings for me on my gauge. So I lowered the tank enough to slide a small piece of cardboard in between. Solved that issue, and I plan to trim that post down the next time I drop the tank.

Topic author
NorthGaAire

Post by NorthGaAire »

+ 1 on checking the crossmember interference with the sending unit location.

I did use 3M Structural Adhesive on both openings. My local parts store recommended it - sells it to several local small engine shops for plastic tank repair. So far so good.
1978 Cherokee 4dr, 360v8, T18 4spd, Twin stick Dana 20, SOA conversion (7" lift), trac lock rear axle, 3.54 axle ratio, 33"x10.5"-15 Toyo MT's on factory steel wheels, Cliff hanger front bumper, Evil Twin rear bumper with swing out spare.