Clunk when moving. From front

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
kansasboy001

Clunk when moving. From front

Post by kansasboy001 »

I have a clunk that sounds like it's once every tire rotation or so as it increases and decreases with speed. I replaced the rear u joints which did not help at all. The clunk sounds like it is coming from the front axle somewhere possibly. Any ideas?
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Renodemona

Re: Clunk when moving. From front

Post by Renodemona »

Double Carden Joint? Front U joint? Front Diff?
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Renodemona wrote:Double Carden Joint? Front U joint? Front Diff?
I'm thinking it's the front u joint as there appears to be play when I jack the front end up and turn the front driveshaft in 4 wheel drive. My 83 has the disconnect dana 44 so half of the differential should be a non issue in 2wd. Is there a way to replace the u joint without removing the hub and all that?

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

It could be a bearing going bad in the hub as well, if you turn side to side at a lower speed, does the noise change? Might want to consult the TSM for more diagnosis. Pulling the hub and replacing bearings and seals are not a huge daunting task and can be done on a saturday afternoon with patience. A ball joint tool can be loaned from one of the big chains for a day or so and will make easy work of the U joint. New races can be pressed with pvc pipe or something similar and a dead blow hammer. Parts are not expensive, it is a Dana 44 after all. Look up YouTube vids on Dana 44 seal/bearing/u joint replacement, there are tons; if you're a visual learner like me. Double check you ball joints for wobble too, ..if you decide to go in.. might as well, 36 years is a long time. I wouldn't suggest it if i didn't feel like most people on this forum couldn't accomplish it. No magic, just put on some nitrile gloves and get in there.

Fleet Fox
Last edited by FLeetFox on Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Check your inside wheel weights. One of the key signs of a failing or loose front wheel bearing is the inner weights will start to hit the tie rod ends.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

FLeetFox wrote:It could be a bearing going bad in the hub as well, if you turn side to side at a lower speed, does the noise change?

Fleet Fox
Turning from side to side makes no difference to the sound. I jacked the front end up and tried to shake the wheel in different directions and when I shook it from top to bottom there was a loud pop from something fairly close and it didn't make the clunking noise again for a little while. Spinning the front drive shaft while in 4 high there seems to be play in the passenger side u joint as well. Could bad ball joints cause this clunk?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Bad ball joints definitely can, as can a bad axle joint.

When you grabbed the top and bottom of the tire did it move? If so, have a friend or somebody look to see if the play is from the ball joints or the spindle, meaning bearings.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Thanks for the help. It was the u joint on the passenger side. The needles on one bearing were completely gone. Just a word of caution for others the precicion u jiont I got had caps that were about a 16th of a inch taller than the spicer one that came out. This was just enough to make it not pass through the hole in the nuckle. Don't do what I first did and try to hammer the axle shaft in anyway, I ended up having to grind the u joint caps flush with the yoke.

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

glad you got it done!
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

kansasboy001 wrote:Thanks for the help. It was the u joint on the passenger side. The needles on one bearing were completely gone. Just a word of caution for others the precicion u jiont I got had caps that were about a 16th of a inch taller than the spicer one that came out. This was just enough to make it not pass through the hole in the nuckle. Don't do what I first did and try to hammer the axle shaft in anyway, I ended up having to grind the u joint caps flush with the yoke.
These have clips on the OD of the caps themselves, inside the yoke? The caps were too tall and extended beyond the yoke?

How much did you grind? The back of the caps take the axial thrust. I'd hate to see them separate and have the axle flopping around. Might make the previous failure you had look good.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The caps will be taller if there is a roller sitting in the bottom of the cap, spacing the cap away from the yoke. Happens. 1/16" is close to the diameter of the rollers.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yeahbut, then he couldn't have gotten the clips on or am I remembering how these things go together wrongly?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Needles definitely didn't slip down and the caps went on fully. Just questionable quality control I think.

Topic author
kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

SJTD wrote:Yeahbut, then he couldn't have gotten the clips on or am I remembering how these things go together wrongly?
That is correct because one of the needles did slip and I couldn't get the clip on so I had to take it back apart to fix it. Also I only grinded the ridge that's around the rim of the caps on the top off so they were flush. About 1/16 or a little less. This ridge was the difference between the spicer caps and the precicion