77 j10 drivers door lock.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Lookuphere1

77 j10 drivers door lock.

Post by Lookuphere1 »

My drivers side door lock lever moves to the up or down position, but it won’t lock the door. The passenger door lock works fine. I have both the drivers and passenger door panels off and are comparing them, but can’t tell a difference. They both seem to look the same and the parts all seem to move the same. The only difference I might note is that I have to almost slam the drivers door to shut it. With that said, if I roll the window down a bit, the door shuts much easier.
They keys work in both doors, but it still doesn’t lock in the down position on the drivers side.
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the door lock?
Thank you

tgreese

Re: 77 j10 drivers door lock.

Post by tgreese »

Mmm. First thing I'd do is clean and lubricate all the moving parts for the door lock. If the driver's side and passenger side doors are assembled the same, they should perform more or less the same. You could read a later TSM about the door function. As I recall, the '82 manual is available on the Tom Collins site, and it covers the door mechanics in more detail than the '77 manual. http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Blaznee

Re: 77 j10 drivers door lock.

Post by Blaznee »

I know this reply is a month old but maybe it will help. My '91 GW was having the same issue. There is a freaky little small spring inside the latch that has a tendency to rust away that causes this. BJ's Off road carries the replacements. There is also a helpful set of installation instructions in the description on the BJ's website. Hope this helps. www.bjsoffroad.com/Door-Lock-Spring-Kit-2-Door-2-springs_p_153.html