Changing fuel tank vent hose

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
RustyDusty

Changing fuel tank vent hose

Post by RustyDusty »

My lines to the charcoal canister are deteriorated, and need to be replaced. I have checked all the soft lines starting from the tank, and they have been replaced and are in good condition. The problem is the two hoses that wye to canister that connect to hard lines between the bell housing and the the firewall. I can barely see the connection from under the vehicle, but cannot figure out how to reach them to change. Is there a secret, or do I just cut the metal line back near the transfer case and run hose from that point forward? If this is the solution, is it OK to T them together and run just one hose up to the canister?

Thanks for help and insight.
1990 Grand Wag
R4B/Holley 4160
I might lament the amount of grease and oil on the underside, until I think about the lack of rust.

tgreese

Re: Changing fuel tank vent hose

Post by tgreese »

No GW here to look at, but I suspect you could take the mounts loose for the vent tube and move it around enough to reach the hose ends. Though not a high-maintenance item, seems unlikely you'd have to drop the transfer case and transmission to reach it.

Note there is a removable panel in the floor on the transmission hump. You'll have to pull back the carpet and padding to reach it.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

devildog80

Re: Changing fuel tank vent hose

Post by devildog80 »

Might need to come in from above, as the metal lines are run that far forward to protect that system from road debris, etc, instead of a rubber hose that far back.

Might need to move a couple things from above, to get to it, but best to just replace the OEM rubber where it is now.

Young grand baby running around there you could make it a game for them to crawl in there and do it?

I jest, but do understand it is an akward job to get done :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified