1964-era Master Cylinder plug&play tech help

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
scaryhd

1964-era Master Cylinder plug&play tech help

Post by scaryhd »

Hi FSJN,

I've done a good bit of searching on the various forums, parts/restorer webs and Google for these two specific items. There's lots of discussions around them but I've yet to find the definitive answers and a specific part number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My build- 1964 Jeep J300 Gladiator 4x4. Previous owners have swapped in a 1979-era Chevy 350, moved the manual 3-speed shift from tree to floor (T90-C transmission) and converted to front-disc brakes (with original Master Cylinder & line distribution, i.e. no proportional valve).

I've pulled both the Clutch and Brake Master Cylinders out for rebuild. But both have serious pitting of the bore sleeves and should be replaced (or relined).

My asks-

1. What "new technology" Clutch Master Cylinder will fit the existing mounting holes and pedal push rod without modifications (i.e. plug&play)? I expect this could be an actual brake MC repurposed as the clutch MC. Someone must have done this on one of their builds/restores by now, you'd think.

2. What "new technology" Brake Master Cylinder with dual-ports will fit the existing mounting holes and pedal push rod without modifications (i.e. plug&play)? A disc-brake conversion/upgrade should have included updating the MC to dual port and adding a proportioning valve to adjust brake engagement between front-disc-to-rear-drums. The J300 came with the valve sitting in the glove box (maybe not the correct install location).

Original Kaiser-Jeep Part Numbers:
932829 - Brake Master Cylinder
925373 - Clutch Master Cylinder

I'll continue my searches and post any successes here for others to benefit from. I'll also post up on the IFSJA.

Thanks for your help!

Dave
(Oakland, CA)

tgreese

Re: 1964-era Master Cylinder plug&play tech help

Post by tgreese »

Hi - It seems unlikely that any parts exist that will be plug-and-play for the original Jeep hydraulic clutch parts or brake master cylinder.

Have you looked at the hot rod sites like Speedway or Summit Racing or Jeggs? They stock brake and clutch hydraulics that are meant for custom applications like hot rods and race cars. These parts are designed to be easily installed in many applications.

Also, remanufactured hydraulics are typically bored and sleeved to restore the original surface. I expect there are shops that can do this on a custom basis, if you'd like to have your original clutch parts repaired. I would look online, and maybe check Hemming's for shops that cater to the classic car restorers.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sirtimtim

Post by sirtimtim »

I have a 64 J200 and have been searching for a solution as well. Found this old article…

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/154-0 ... onversion/

Also, thinking of pairing it with this, although it’ll need modifications.

https://leedbrakes.com/i-23439471-compa ... lated.html

sirtimtim

Post by sirtimtim »

Found some parts that fit, although not plug n play.

1980 CJ5 master cylinder will bolt up to stock 1964 J200 master cylinder holes. I’m going manual disc/drum and the 1980 cj5 master cylinder has the same setup. I also plan on using the Trackick brackets from Brennans Garage and using the tracker/side kick 4 door calipers and brakes. Not sure if the pushrod tube will be the correct length, but adjustable pushrods are available.