Rear window regulator

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Johnzi10

Rear window regulator

Post by Johnzi10 »

So I installed the rear glass in BJs stainless lift bar with new channels in tailgate and roof with new inner and outer wipes. Window went up but did not hit top off channel, so I adjusted the lower two screws to adjust window angle. Window came out of lift bar when lowering, so I reinstalled and used a heat gun to do my best to get a good seal. I was testing again when suddenly the regulator jumper teeth from the motor gear and glass separated again from the lift bar.
Next steps? Maybe have an auto glass shop seal glass to lifter bar( maybe some secret techniques?). With window out regulator is still jumping teeth, must have flexed or pivot points are not round anymore? I’m inclined to get a different regulator and am wondering about sources,
I made my own spacers to mount the regulator, it seems to be in tight. Made sure spacer size was dead on the one spacer I got with the Jeep. Could this be a problem? Original spacers have inside treads, mine don’t.
Advice, thoughts or comments appreciated. My rear window “right of passage” continues.
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

Topic author
Johnzi10

Re: Rear window regulator

Post by Johnzi10 »

Sorry, was not clear about the regulator. The small gear on the motor is not meshing with the arm gears, it is jumping due to the spring. Center gear mesh is working correctly. Motor gear looks good, not chewed up. There is no adjustments for the motor to the regulator that I see. I’m bummed.

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Took glass to glass shop and saw motor was missing a bolt! It let the motor move out of the hole that keeps it aligned. Got new bolt, will reinstall regulator and get glass back tomorrow. Here’s hoping for success!

Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

Not sure where you are but I just bought a 1977 regulator from J&W Auto Wreckers in Antelope, Ca. It’s a big Jeep junkyard. It wasn’t cheap but mine was shot and the Crown one isn’t power. I saved my old one and will repair the idler gear axle which was super wobbly so I have a spare for next time.
I hope your missing bolt solves your problem.
Good luck !
1964 Triumph TR4 with 1964 Olds 215 heart transplant
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Glass shop gluing in the lifter bar in with the seal did the trick! I have a operating tailgate window. Get to drive it for a tank of gas before I checkout/ replace gas tank skid and straps. Here’s hoping rust not too bad.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

If it's not too late, take the cover off the gear box for a look. There are plastic dampers that cushion the topping out of the glass. I and others have found that they have turned to crumbs.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

You say that is in the motor housing? I thought the lower bump stops and top of window frame limited travel in each direction. Motor just runs when bench tested in both directions, so I’m lost about what to check.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yep, under the cover the output shaft comes out of.

Pichers here: http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.p ... 564&page=3

Post #43 if the pages don't work out right.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.