For those of you who patch patchs over rust.. here is why you DONT do that.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

For those of you who patch patchs over rust.. here is why you DONT do that.

Post by candymancan »

Going to tackle the rusted frame by the gas tank on my Jeep.

And well.. its bad.. worst yet on my 90s frame.. Thankfully its the last thing that needs foxed on the frame after i did the engine mount and shock mount cracked and rotten sections.

As you can see this frame has been repaired by hobo Jo in the mountains of wv (where the Jeep was from before it was sold on ebay)

They patch this on the inside of the frame... Look what happens when you put metal over top of rusted metal to do a redneck fix. It cuases hortible rot 10x worse then it ever would have been.

Why not cut the old stuff out then put in your patch ?? Makes nooooo sense to me.

I can see the frame patch they put in under the rotten frame im chizzling away. Please people stop doing patchs like this !!!!

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Re: For those of you who patch patchs over rust.. here is why you DONT do that.

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

I see repairs done on floorboards like this all the time. Usually with sheet metal and rivets or with fiberglass :banghead:
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have scrapped FSJs with less rust. That's how it goes in the southwest.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

It can be fixed. I just bought a new ryobi brushless angle grinder and 4 4amp hour batteries. Im going to the salvage yard to that white 79 cherokee and ima cut out the frame in that section that i need. And then drop the tank on my Jeep. Cut out the frame thats bad and weld the section i cut out from the 79 to my frame. It isnt rusted up top only half way dow .. so i csn probly cut the half way down off i dont think anything will shift i mean its already rotted there lol. Like i did with my shock mount and engine mount thread. I can fix it. Its just such a pain man.

Can you guys see the L shaped 90 degree angle peice of steel inside the frame on the picture ? Where i chizzled the chunks out of the original frame.

Some redneck welded that 90 degree angle peice of steel inside my frame. It worked to make it structurally sound.. but it cause the original frame to rot even worse.. smh

I can fix this. Im not scrapping ny Jeep over this lol i have too much invested in it to do this. Ive fixed my floors proper.y ive fixed the rear of the frame. Ive fixed the shock mount. I just gatta do this and i should be good frame wise.

I mean why scrap this ? The body is great cept a dog leg i had to repair. And the interior is near mint. Its near flawless. Its just the Gosh darn frame..

Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

It's easy enough to explain...I will give my reasons for this one. I didn't want to go to the expense of buying the kit and was afraid if I cut the section completely out of the frame it might flex and be off when I weld it back together. So we cut the bad spots out and treated the rust. Also to be honest my welding skills are ok at best. And at the time I did not have a garage. Now I am under no illusions that it will last forever but it's good for a few more years.Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well im working ina townhouse parking lot but i plan to do it the right way. The frame shouldnt flex cutting only half way up. And if it does you can jack the frame left or right to move it back into position. Or cut small sections at a time. Weld and repeat. Just saying welding plates over causes the rust to rust 10x faster and worse. Mine is a perfect example.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

candymancan wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:36 pm I mean why scrap this ? The body is great cept a dog leg i had to repair. And the interior is near mint. Its near flawless. Its just the Gosh darn frame..
You are right. No need to scrap it. It looks nice enough to flip for good money from some unsuspecting soul then find one with less rust. :P
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Lol yea but then id have to fix everything all over again. Electrical. Leaking water through doors and windows. Suspension. Lol.. Cant start over im too far in hah. Besides once i fix the frame i dont have to worry about it anymore lol.

Ive had offers ranging from 8-13,000$ though many times... lol.