78 J10 to M715 clone

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Jeepindave759

78 J10 to M715 clone

Post by Jeepindave759 »

Hi guys, I just joined the forum a week or so ago and I really wanted to start a build thread to keep me focused on this project and see it through. I have a 78 J10 with the 360 and Dana 44's. My end goal is to have a j10 that resembles a Kaiser m715. Im not looking for a clean, show worthy truck, but rather a solid reliable vehicle that I can use in inclement weather or to haul things around. OK! Let's
get started.

I want this j10 to resemble something like this. I'm not sure who owns this but kudos, this thing looks amazing.

This is what I have now.

Yesterday I removed the old tank and ran some fuel lines to a 5 gallon jug with fresh fuel. After using some shop air in the jug, I was able to prime the fuel pump. Luckily the diaphragm must have still been working. It runs amazing. The title says 60,xxx original miles. Aside from the cab rust, the frame and engine seem to be excellent. I notice I have a fuel leak at the carb from the red circled area. I also have a slight valve cover leak on either side. I personally do not know a lot about carburetors as they are a little before my time. I've only messed around with them on mowers and small engines.Image

I've measured my frame rails and wheel spacing and I believe I have found a bed that will work nicely with some minor tweaks. It's a military surplus but I think it will give me the desired look I'm going for.

I'm headed back out to pull some more items off it. I know I have some pretty good rot going on at the lower part of the nose. I'll post more pictures here in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jeepindave759

Re: 78 J10 to M715 clone

Post by Jeepindave759 »

Took off the front piece and fenders. There was a lot more rot than I anticipated. I need to keep an eye out for these pieces.

husker77

Post by husker77 »

Jeepindave759 wrote: Yesterday I removed the old tank and ran some fuel lines to a 5 gallon jug with fresh fuel. After using some shop air in the jug, I was able to prime the fuel pump. Luckily the diaphragm must have still been working. It runs amazing. The title says 60,xxx original miles. Aside from the cab rust, the frame and engine seem to be excellent. I notice I have a fuel leak at the carb from the red circled area. I also have a slight valve cover leak on either side. I personally do not know a lot about carburetors as they are a little before my time. I've only messed around with them on mowers and small engines.Image
That is the accelerator pump, when you need some extra fuel on acceleration it squirts some in there. You should be able to find just that if you need to to try and get it running. I am guessing the carb will need rebuilt. With a little research and taking your time it isn't to bad.

mattv

Post by mattv »

thats kind of what i wanna do with my j20
i'll keep the box but go with arched wheel wells and big tires with NO lift

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Nice project, I would love to do this with a four door.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

bford32

Post by bford32 »

I would love to have a 4 door like that as well!!Image

Topic author
Jeepindave759

Post by Jeepindave759 »

I wasn't even aware 4 doors existed on a j truck

Topic author
Jeepindave759

Post by Jeepindave759 »

Did a little work to the fenders today. The majority of the rot on the fenders is the pinch welds that hold the flares on. Since I'm making my own flares, these are going away anyhow.Image
Here is one fender I just hung in place to get an idea of what I'm going for.

Jpc1979

Post by Jpc1979 »

Have you done any more to the truck? I just bought a 70 j4000, thinking of doing the same.