Painting patina.

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
uncletiffy

Painting patina.

Post by uncletiffy »

After I get my gear work done, my suspension installed, my windows working, the interior replaced and the AC fixed, I plan on painting my Cherokee. :cry:

I watch lots of car resto/mod shows and every now and then you see one that looks like they have clear coated paint over the rust (patina).

How difficult is this?
My car has rust but its only surface rust (except for the rear fender flares) and I think it looks great, shows her age. But I don't want it to rust any more.

What are your thoughts?
1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief, 360V8, auto ,QT, rust.
1995 Jeep YJ, 2.5 4 cyl. Sold, yay.
1998 Land Rover Defender 90, 2.5 TDI.

az chip

Re: Painting patina.

Post by az chip »

Kind of a fad to me. Good solid paint, especially in a salty air environment seems better. But I was a US Navy aircraft mechanic and salt water was our worst enemy.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
uncletiffy

Post by uncletiffy »

I painted my Defender with boat paint,(Awlgrip) has held up really well. Shut the external corrosion off and is really resistant to bush scratching, its almost like a plastic coating.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I painted my J10 to look like Patina. I got the idea front a couple shows on PowerNation TV--Trucks. I wanted to stop the rust but keep the old truck look. It only cost me $150 in materials and a little time:

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

uncletiffy wrote:...
What are your thoughts?
Painting over red rust with clear coat is sure to fail within a short time. .

You can neutralize the rust with a chemical rust convertor, and then will stabilize the surface. You may not get the look you want, since all converting the rust changes its color from red to black. Try some Naval Jelly on an area and see if you like the result.

You could then matte clear-coat over the rust, and it would probably last for a few years. But clear coat is meant to be sprayed over a compatible color coat, not 'bare' steel. So I'm not sure what the durability will be.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Some discussion here - https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... ust+patina

JMO - if you like the look, I expect the only way to keep it is to park the car in a dry, cold garage and only drive it on sunny days. Once the rust starts, anything you do other than reduce to bright metal and repaint is just a delaying tactic.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Depending on the area but if it's in an area that you've treated the rust then it marches on. The clear will blister just like paint does when you paint over it. It will last a short while but will be harder to clean up. If you like the patina & only want the rig for a short time or a beater then why not.
The PO of my Cherokee painted it with hammer tone. If I would have known what I know now I would have never bought it.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Serehill I wish I had looked past the lipstick of the "pig" I bought two years ago she looked good, today all the rust is popping along with their halfasses attempts at filling trim holes with "mud" and the clear coat is peeling off the tops of most of the panels. Oh well she's mine now
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

My only regret is that I sanded it too much [too much patina]. In the future, I will redo it and leave more of the paint.

Topic author
uncletiffy

Post by uncletiffy »

Thanks, I am going to paint her.

I sprayed over the rust with Zinc on the weekend to slow it down till I am ready.