It always comes in Threes

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

It always comes in Threes

Post by Tatsadasayago »

It's an axiom for a reason. Rarely do bad things happen singly or in two's...it's usually three bits of Jeep drama within a short period of time. Sometimes these terrible threes happen at once.

The Cherokee has been sitting since the spring get-together up in Auburn and it ran great. After two months or so of sitting I decided early this morning the old girl needed to stretch her legs and blow the carbon out. As I was warming her up I began considering heading to the parts house and getting a few emergency repair parts such as a coil, rotor, ignition module and a CS-144 alternator for a charging system upgrade. I pondered ordering a water pump since I don't have a good spare on hand.

After the Jeep was warmed up I headed down the street. As I rolled up to the first stop sign, less than 500 feet from my driveway the engine died.
I noticed that the air fuel ratio was well into the rich range of 10:1 just before the engine quit.
I pumped the throttle a few times and spun it with no luck. Thankfully the street was level so I pushed the jeep through the intersection and parked alongside the curb. I checked the carb for fuel and confirmed there was plenty. A test light confirmed the HEI distributor was getting 12 volts in the run and start positions.
I pulled a plug and spun the engine over. No spark.
I checked that the rotor was in good shape and was turning so I was pretty sure the drive gear didn't get munched.
I walked home and drove my Altima to the parts store where i bought a Duralast ignition module for 29.95.
I popped the new module in and had the old girl running in just a few minutes.
I drove the Nissan back to the house then went back for the Cherokee. I started her up and was half-way through a 180 degree turnaround when the engine died again. Spin spin spin, no start. I pushed the jeep to the curb and did some testing. I figured it was possible the new module could have croaked on it's own (As many are known to do) or something else killed it. No spark at the plugs so I did another dash to the parts house where I bought another module and HEI coil.

The new-new module didn't fix the problem so I swapped out the coil. Varooom! Problem solved. No worries as I wanted to have a spare module on hand anyway.

Once again I did the vehicle shuffle and returned to the jeep. As I was turning around I thought, "Screw this, I think I'll just park this thing before something else decides to brea......." KaBaaam and clang-a-clatter-clang-zzzzzzzzztttttt. I stopped where I was, got out and looked underneath. Both drive shafts intact and nothing leaking out. I put the QTrak in 4WD and the jeep moved but there was a lot of snapping and banging coming from the rear end. I idled the Cherokee to the house and backed her into her spot.

A quick look at the rear axle cover showed some chipped paint and a nice little fingertip sized bulge.
I guess my Powr-Lok decided to grenade itself.

Now, the burning question in my mind is...

Jim
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Cheap Hobby

Re: It always comes in Threes

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Geez glad somebody else has these days. I'm thinking it's time to run to dad's for the black and gray chief.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

wow, thats a lot to go wrong in such a short period of time. Did you say something bad to the Jeep before getting into it or something?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Stuka wrote:wow, thats a lot to go wrong in such a short period of time. Did you say something bad to the Jeep before getting into it or something?
Well...maybe.
I had been eyeballing an 01 Durango in the same color saying how I really needed it. Maybe this hurt the jeep's feelings?
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Just like any other female, these things get irritated and cause drama when they are ignored for long periods of time.

2 months?!! Ca-mon man, you should know better! Gotta take her out on the town every now and then.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

More parts to the Jeep gods! Now you can put that Detroit locker in...
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'