TCI 727 pan torque?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
wag86

TCI 727 pan torque?

Post by wag86 »

I have searched quite a bit but haven't got a clue on the torques needed to tighten up a TCI 128000 pan to my GW's 727. It has the rubbery gasket but the only instructions that came with it say to not overtighten, that's a big help :-? Anyone?

tgreese

Re: TCI 727 pan torque?

Post by tgreese »

Similar to valve cover tightness. 50 in-lb or about 4-5 ft-lb.

Really, you don't need to use a torque wrench. Put your 1/4" drive ratchet in the palm of your hand and gently snug it up. Mainly you want to tighten them evenly (go from side to side across the pan) and not deform the pan metal. If you get in there with your 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet and torque down on the bolts, you will bend the pan and it will leak.

Also, extra tightening can make a pan or valve cover gasket leak more, so resist the temptation to torque down on the bolts if it leaks. Did you check the pan for flat and level gasket surface with a straight edge?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Cheap Hobby

Re: TCI 727 pan torque?

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Check TCI website under installation to see if they lost any thing. Also can not remember if their pan is thicker. If it is you may want to check how much bolt is left to grab the threads with the gasket in place. You want to make sure there is enough to hold the pan or torque won't matter. Tim is correct on pulling the bolts up evenly . Messed up a brand new pan on initial install. Gasket would leak when sitting still. House has slopped drive way. I got a cranky wife.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.