Shock mounting after spring & axel swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Mustang Shooter

Shock mounting after spring & axel swap

Post by Mustang Shooter »

Hey Gang!
Im starting to think about shock placement on my Grand Wagoneer, and would appreciate some of your input.
Its an 84 and I installed 60" rear springs from a 95 Suburban and 93 Dodge W250 Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear axles.
Here is the build thread if anyone is interested http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5938

What I am trying is to use the lower shock mount from the 93 Dodge Dana 70 and, the stock 84 Grand Wagoner upper shock mount.

The shock was one that had been used on the 93 Dodge chassis, its just for visual purposes and will not be a "final" shock.
This is a view looking from the driver side.

This is looking from the front side of the rear axle toward the back of the Wagg.

Shock on upper and lower mount.

The shock sits at 4* with the top toward the back

6* toward the center of the truck

To me, the angles seem a bit too vertical.

I have a buddys' 93 W250 stored behind my shop with the exact same axles. I took a few pics of the rear suspension and checked the angles.

I could either build a new crossmember, or use the existing crossmember with new brackets to mount the upper shocks closer to the 30* of the Dodge.
If you have done a Chevy spring and axle swap, what angles are you using for your set up?

For the front, I could use the stock Grand Wagoner upper and the Dana 60 lower mount

The angle would still basically be the same as if I were using the Dana 44 that was originally there.

The front has a length of 27 3/4"
Any thoughts and pics would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Last edited by Mustang Shooter on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tatsadasayago

Re: Shock mounting after spring & axel swaap

Post by Tatsadasayago »

From my experience, the more vertical the shock is in relation to the axle housing, the more abrupt the shock rate is. By laying the shocks at a 30 degree angle, the rates are softened, because the axle has to move farther and faster to create the same fluid flow through the valving.
This is why cars typically have angled shocks in two axii...smoother ride at the expense of quick dampening.
If it were me, I wouldn't have a problem with the setup as it is and be more concerned about extension and compression lengths of the shocks.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation