fiberglass flare fit issue ?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
marcallen

Post by marcallen »

I'm in the process of fitting a single WT fiberglass flare I picked up new, but from an individual..almost all of my inner is present, welding a 6"piece near the bottom tail, but my issue is the new flare seems to only want to fit correctly if I remove the flange, and say 1/4" or so of the inner, all the he way around..has anyone else had this experience ? Obviously I'd like to retain the area where the spotwelds were around the perimeter. I've measured and remeasured the passenger side outer (its perfect) and the fiberglass flare is closer dimensionally to the inner. Maybe its splitting hairs but it enlarges my wheel opening a tiny bit, but can't unknow it ! I'll buy another flare before I force this one to fit, if I have to.
Thanks, - Marc

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: fiberglass flare fit issue ?

Post by rocklaurence »

Is it going on a truck or Cherokee--rear?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Photos would help a lot here. And like mentioned above, truck or waggy/Chero?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Kind of my question. No doubt he's talking about the rear & maybe he has a front flare. Front & rears are different. The inner fenderwell on the front is nowhere near the flare. I would ensure I had the right fender for the right side, The only glass flares I've seen installed did not have to cut anything. In the body that is,
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
marcallen

Post by marcallen »

IMG_20150329_150747.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
marcallen

Post by marcallen »

It is the drivers rear flare..when I close the gap at the top, flare flush to the body I get the opposite at the bottom..it won't wrap up around the inner.
Last edited by marcallen on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
marcallen

Post by marcallen »

Both flares in have are identical, don't appear to be left nor right..I wasn't aware there was/is a difference ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Left to right should be the same, front to rear is very different. I assure you have flip flopped them and get the same results? ie: both fiberglass flares are identical. It's possible your body just isn't perfect on both sides. I would do some careful measuring to find out where the difference is.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Topic author
marcallen

Post by marcallen »

I have measured quite a bit and the repros come up a bit small..like a mold made off a repro..I found this truck for this project because it was so straight, had it plastic media blasted and minus this area,it is rust free, zero filler. It Is/was very original, no collisions and for the sake of not feeling stupid had test fit the flare all the way around before I ordered a third flare I thought I'd ask around and see if size anomalies happen. Ordering one from BJ's tonight. I removed ALL the old spot welds and remaining outer fender so its as good as it gets when the new flare arrives. Thank you guys for all the help. I'm returning to FSJ's as a hobby for me, and at the moment this Jeep helps support my habit. This is a customers vehicle and, no corners cut and way nicer than I can afford, but the knowledge and practice is invaluable..I quit my day job to do this full time so I'm all in and grateful for you guys that know what I'm learning the hard way.
I thought about making the flares work on my 76 but some poor guy down the line would probably kill a few hours/days like I just did..anyone want a slightly smaller flare/simulated lift ? Lol

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh, thats a bummer. Would not be the first time I have heard of it though. Kind of a common thing across all vehicles. Copy of a copy that just doesnt fit.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ