Galvanized rocker panels stock?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Many years ago when I first purchased my '77 Cherokee I noticed while polishing it that the lower rockers looked like primer showing through all the rock chips. On looking at them closer it looked more like it was galvanized steel. Fast forward to now I was giving the Cherokee a much need polish again and got to the rockers and notice that they looked exactly like they did 16 years ago. The rest of the panels had rust where there where rock chips, but the rockers showed no rust at all through the paint chips. This time I also notice that the panel under the tailgate looked to be the same material. I was just curious if this was normal construction for the era? I never noticed it on my '72 Wagoneer.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

My '75 Cherokee had galvanized rockers. I have photos some place of them.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Nikkormat

Re: Galvanized rocker panels stock?

Post by Nikkormat »

I'll post up a picture of my body tag, it boasts about AMC's advanced construction with baked enamel and galvanized panels. My tailgate is galvanized and factory undercoated on the inside! Not all the AMC construction was cheap and rust prone! Take that Toyota!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Nikkormat wrote:I'll post up a picture of my body tag, it boasts about AMC's advanced construction with baked enamel and galvanized panels. My tailgate is galvanized and factory undercoated on the inside! Not all the AMC construction was cheap and rust prone! Take that Toyota!
Pretty sure Ford was the first to galvanize the whole vehicle. GM did in the later 70's after the mid 70's models were getting holes rusted through the fenders just years after they came out (My fathers '75 rusted completely out, and we have no salt here).

If only AMC had galvanized the rear quarters.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

guitarsail

Post by guitarsail »

No way my tailgate is galvanized. That thing is so rusty...just not sure what to do about it...