80 Cherokee 6.0/4l80 swap

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
area52

80 Cherokee 6.0/4l80 swap

Post by area52 »

I have been lurking and gathering information on here and other sites getting ready to do my swap. I'll start with a little story:

Quite a few years back, I was into rockcrawling. I had a 88 Jeep Comanche, lifted, locked, stroker engine - the works. Traded it for a 5 ton military truck since I was getting more into that hobby. Life changed, sold all my trucks, got a divorce, moved back to California. Got the urge to go four wheeling again so I started looking for another vehicle.

Decided to go all the way initially instead of build as I go. I was looking at the XJ/MJ series, as I know them well and like how they perform. Didn't find anything the way I liked it so I looked around for other Jeeps. I always like "different" ones, Willys, FC's and non standard wheelers. I found a 1980 Cherokee wide trac a couple years ago and began the slow build.

As it sits now - all stock drive train - AMC 360/TF727/NP208. I put Dana 60's front and rear with 40" tires, SOA/shackle flip under it so that part is set.

I purchased a 2001 Chevy Suburban complete and running for a very good deal!! :shock: you wouldn't believe me if I told you

So I've been studying and reading all the swap threads and am getting ready to start.

One issue is that my engine hoist will not be high enough for pulling the AMC 360/727/208 so I will have to pull the tires and put it on the axles to get it low enough.
Pictures will come this weekend once I get it home from its storage spot at work. The Suburban is in the garage undergoing surgery.

more to come. thanks to everyone who has posted on here about their swaps.
1980 Cherokee undergoing surgery

Topic author
area52

Re: 80 Cherokee 6.0/4l80 swap

Post by area52 »

another few things I forgot:

This will be a smog legal California (hopefully) swap so all the emissions stuff has to come over and it has to pass the BAR ( smog certification).

I will try to use as much as I can from the Suburban and keep the costs down. Not going to use the factory transfer case.

Would like to get an Atlas transfer case but I have not found the pot of gold yet :D so I am still up in the air about a t-case (drivers side).

2001 6.0 has the EGR and a fuel return line for future searches.

Will try to do my own wiring. Will try to reuse the Jeep radiator (Suburban one is toooooo wide!)

Suburban has hydroboost so will try to adapt that also when engine is out. I plan on running hydro assist steering also (got the ram and hoses and my steering box is tapped already)

The Suburban has two aux coolers up front, an extra one for the trans and a vertical one for the steering/hydroboost. Will try to reuse the small one for my power steering.

more to come

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Where in CA are you?

Depending on the output spline count in that 4L80, the stock 208 may work. Otherwise the 'burbs t-case will work with a slip yoke eliminator. It most likely had a 241HD.

As for radiator, I would advise a good cross flow aluminum radiator. Will cool better than the OEM one.

Really nice that you have the whole vehicle so you can get everything off it. Besides the EGR there is also a vapor canister that you will need to have hooked up.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Technically you have to use the engine and transfer case from the donor vehicle. The gas tank is also considered part of the smog system as well. And a check engine light that says check engine. It really comes down to where you are in state and the referee you get. Keep accurate records of donor vehicle info you will have to meet the smog standards for burb. Some parts of the state it is easier to build a vehicle from scratch then convert an engine.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
area52

Post by area52 »

I'm in San Bernardino CA. The Burbs t-case is push button so I would have to convert it to a lever shifter. I don't think I want to use it, but thats open for debate. I plan on rockcrawling so I need something that would be heavy duty and take some abuse. The 4l80 is a 32 spline output.

Plan is to use the tank from a 97 blazer like the other swaps, hope it will pass the visual inspection.

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

This sounds like an awesome build. I've been planning out my two FSJ's one a '89 daily driver wheeler and one a '78 Cherokee hard wheeler, this has a lot of what I want to do between the two of them so I'll be watching them real close. With that 32 spline output you could always go the doubler route or ORD magnum box/205. Since the Magnum box is a bolt in I plan on running a 205 and then adding the magnum box as funds allow. There's also a guy Behemouth drivetrain that sells a solid looking doubler for the 241 and many others, he seems to be constantly behind on orders so you might want to factor out some wait time if you go that way. Post pics ASAP!!
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh, the FSJ t-case is out then. And looking again, that 'burb came with an NP263HD. Very strong internally, but if it ever physically touches a rock, they basically shatter.

But you will need a t-case that allows you to get the electronic speedo setup that the ECU requires.

As mentioned above, you will need the 'burbs fuel tank to pass the visual inspection. It should fit back behind the rear axle.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
area52

Post by area52 »

Bringing this back from the dead for a little update:

Scored a great deal on an Atlas transfer case - correct drop (drivers side), correct input gear (32 spline) and with shifters!!

Started pulling apart the Suburban to get the 6.0/4l80E out, slow progress.
Priced out some stuff - radiator and fan from Summit should be around $500 -$600, wiring I am gonna try to do myself with help from LT1swap site.
I have the motor mounts from Jeepin Pete so I hope those will fit without too much trouble.

My Cherokee is at my work, plan to try and use the crane there to pull the drivetrain eventually. Slooooooowly getting there.

Topic author
area52

Post by area52 »

Another update (no pics yet sorry)

Pulled the Jeep drivetrain - selling it now. Pulled the 6.0/4l80e/np263 out of the Burb. Ordered bunch of stuff off of Amazon to freshen up the engine and trans before installing.

I've noticed alot of swap threads don't have detail on prices so I will try to keep a running price sheet.

Melling oil pump - $61.99
knock sensors(2)$ 46.79 ea
knock sensor harness $21.00
timing chain/sprockets - $36
airtex fuel pump $64
derale electric fan set $297.97
gasket set $120.77
trans filter/pan gasket 13.94

Free shipping but paid tax. Still have alot more to order - radiator, water pump,oil cooler, trans cooler, fuel lines/fittings
going to try and reuse the factory exhaust manifolds for now ( I have to use my egr stuff darn California emissions!)
Also have to send the ECU out for reflashing ($75), gonna try to do the wiring on my own.

So far I am out roughly $2200 total for the complete Suburban,parts and motor mounts ($150 from Jeepin Pete) not including the Atlas ($1500)

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

pics would be great!
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan
83 J10 Laredo: Red/Black
82 Cherokee: blue/black

Topic author
area52

Post by area52 »

Found this nice link while planning my wiring adventure.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/60008.pdf

Topic author
area52

Post by area52 »

out with the old

and the donor