holley truck avenger

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rnlnelson

holley truck avenger

Post by rnlnelson »

Thinking of replacing my summit racing carb with a truck avenger. Who has done this on their daily driver and how was it? It's mainly a dd and tow rig.

Fleg

Re: holley truck avenger

Post by Fleg »

Pretty sure Holley specifically says not to be used on a tow rig.

derf

Post by derf »

I had one back when they first came out. It was easy to tune. Get a spring kit and a few jets and spend an afternoon getting it set up right and it should serve you well.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

You wouldn't be gaining anything other than off-road driveability on hills/sidehills and when bouncing around.
The Summit carb is a wanna-be Motorcraft/Holley hermaphrodite (M2008) and is a decent unit for what you are doing.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I ran a 670 Holley TA on the Honcho (AMC 360) prior to going with TBI.

I loved that thing for 'wheeling. It was virtually impossible to make it stumble or have problems. I feel it's a great carb and I highly recommend it. They are super easy to tune, parts are available and they are reliable.

But end the end, it's still a carb and will show it's @$$ on occasion, which is why I swapped to TBI and will NEVER run another carb :fsj:

Topic author
rnlnelson

Post by rnlnelson »

I like the low end torque that is says it offers. I'm not sure to go with the truck avenger or just the avenger. Some sites says it's meant for off road only, and some say it's great for off road, dd and towing?

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I believe there are two 'avengers' Street Avenger and Truck Avenger. The main difference is the truck avenger has the spillover tube and different calibration and the street avenger does not have that extra tube. I think you can statically calibrate either for any application.

But if you are DD and towing, then yeah, TBI is like a million times better than any carb that has, is, or will be ever invented. But I digress on the TBI stuff as I realize most people simply aren't gonna do it.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Yeah for what you're doing it's a trophy carburetor. As far as performance on the street there's really no advantage. They are certainly worse on gas mileage. I have a 600 Holley now & it performs almost as well as the TA did. I had a TA on mine for a while. The cost of the carb & gas was not worth the coolness. I can do everything with the one I have now that I could do with the TA. Yeah you can buy it, buy then buy jets, springs & everything you need to calm it down when basically it's becoming a standard carburetor. Save the bucks. The 1800 series all tune just like the TA. With the air cleaner on you can't tell the difference. I've never had any issues with mine off road.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

will e

Post by will e »

'A million times better' is a bit of an over reach when comparing carbs and TBI.

To get the best performance out of either it will take some time to learn how it works and make adjustments. For carbs that can include 'taking it apart', for TBI it might mean going as far as getting a chip burned.

TBI's can adjust for changes in altitude better. Carbs are not prone to electrical issues that can cause immediate failures.

Since both are 'wet manifold', that is the fuel and air mixed and then they pass through the manifold, you have to tune to the leanest cylinder. That is, you avoid going over lean. This is because the length and shape for each path is not uniform.

I went from TBI to a Holley Truck avenger and love it.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

will e wrote:'

LOL is all I can say :P

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Put a M2150 on there and be done. :mrgreen:

Says the person running SEFI on both his Jeeps.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

The Summit is a way better street carb. It's based on a Motorcraft 4100, which is one of the best 4bbl carbs ever made in my not so humble opinion.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

Topic author
rnlnelson

Post by rnlnelson »

I think I'll start with tweaking the Jets and springs in the summit. If I'm still not happy, I'll pick up a holley.

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

will e wrote:

What kind of MPG's were you getting with both?

acct21

Post by acct21 »

My 2150 starts my GW as fast as any TBI out there. 1/2 pump to set the choke, and it fires before the key is turned all the way to 'start.'
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

As many people have said, the Motorcraft 2100's were the original off-road carburetor and do very well at strange angles so long as the float level and idle mixture are correct. Many regard it as the ultimate off-road 2bbl carburetor.

The Motorcraft 4100 is basically two 2100's shoved together. The old "shoebox 4100" was mildly revised by Holley into the 4010, then the tooling sold to Summit. The Summit carb has many similarities with the original 4100 and therefore the 2100, so I'd think it should do very well off-road.

Truck Avengers don't even have main air bleeds. Even the carburetor on my lawn mower has main air bleeds. Holley gave up some things to make it off-road worthy. On top of that, the Summit carb is highly tunable, with replaceable pump jets, pump cams, PVCR's, main and idle air bleeds, and you can even swap booster clusters to change your emulsion circuits.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Hope I don't get out wheeled by a lawnmower.

What will e was referring to was a Holley 2D analog projection system.
You can't compare them to a true GM throttle body system really.
I ran the same 2D setup and also tore it off in favor of a TA670, with the TA470 probably better suited for a mild/used 360 (will e is a 401 and I am a Caddy425).

It does not seem to matter if I tow with mine, empty/loaded/etc. I get between 9-10 mpg.
I got marginally better with the 2D setup when it ran well but not enough to justify keeping it.

I won't argue the merits, FI is clearly superior.
But you won't limp a dead one home with a sports bottle and vacuum hose like you can a carb.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

FSJunkie wrote:As many people have said, the Motorcraft 2100's were the original off-road carburetor and do very well at strange angles so long as the float level and idle mixture are correct. Many regard it as the ultimate off-road 2bbl carburetor.

The Motorcraft 4100 is basically two 2100's shoved together. The old "shoebox 4100" was mildly revised by Holley into the 4010, then the tooling sold to Summit. The Summit carb has many similarities with the original 4100 and therefore the 2100, so I'd think it should do very well off-road.

Truck Avengers don't even have main air bleeds. Even the carburetor on my lawn mower has main air bleeds. Holley gave up some things to make it off-road worthy. On top of that, the Summit carb is highly tunable, with replaceable pump jets, pump cams, PVCR's, main and idle air bleeds, and you can even swap booster clusters to change your emulsion circuits.
Except the 4100 sucks off road. I've tried. There in a fuel passage between the bowls on the left side. On steep hills, fuel drains from one bowl to the other, flooding the engine out.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I personally like the TA. To me, they are easy to tune and easy to put a kit in. If I get out wheeled by a lawn mower, I just hope the blade has been removed.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac